Bug bites

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, not been on for a while, no excuse really just been busy....

My levels are a little higher than usual the last few days, I have put it down too eating a little more than I usually do, still good though, but today having a great food day my levels are above 8, I hate this. Been under 6 or a while now.

Saturday night we were out in garden chatting with friends and neighbours till late and I got bit a few times on my leg, now red patches and very itchy. I have been using savlon on them. I read somewhere that bug bites could cause higher blood glucose levels, what do you think? Or is it savlon? Should I see doc or will it go and be ok?

Thanks

Elc1112

I've never heard that they cause higher blood sugars... The only reason I can think of that could cause them to raise is if the bites became infected.

I'd just keep using savlon and/or bite cream and keep an eye on it.

Em x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I heard somewhere that it is the other way round. If you have high blood sugar then you are more likely to be bitten. I have no evidence for this and it could just be an old wives tale.

Mushroom

Hi, I was only diagnosed in May and have been on a low-carb diet since then so may not be very 'juicy' at present. Obviously, I must have been diabetic for quite a few years but I don't usually have problems with mosquito bites - hardly notice them. On the other hand, they always get my husband and his bites swell up and the bite itself blisters and weeps. However, recently me, hubbie and son were all bitten indoors over a couple of nights and it must have been from the same mosquito because all our bites have been very itchy, swollen and we have been left with a large red marks where the bite was. Husband's had the same symptoms but this time the bite didn't weep. Different to usual.
Sounds like you have had similar bites. Perhaps there is a new type of mozzy around this year.
Mary

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are not so much itchy today but they are big red blotches about 1/2 inch wide.

I think maybe horseflies as we took a walk next to the canal on Saturday. Now that the biteshavibf stopped itching so much my levels have gone down back towards my normal levels.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've never thought about it before, but if you have a bad reaction to a bite it may well put your BGs up - after all, the body is marshalling it's forces to fight the bite, just as it does when you catch a cold. So a rise in BGs could be a possibility.

I react very badly - large itchy red patch, big blister etc - no matter what bites me - I think I'm just allergic to being bitten! They don't usually come up until about 12 hours after the event, and then stick around, itchy and swollen, for several days. If I get a lot in one go I feel ill, listless and quite 'down'.

I don't usually do anything about them, and they eventually go away. I think I must get a few antibodies to them over the season.

The worst ones are the little b****rs that climb up inside my trouser-legs when I'm mowing the lawn, and get me on the backs of my knees, or even worse - at the top of my leg under my knicker elastic :shock: like the last one did :wink: :lol:

Viv 8)

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I definatley think it's the bites causing it, got a couple being itchy today and my levels are up again and I have been super low carbing so food is not the cause. It's making me a little moody too. *sigh*

:(

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
No idea about the raised bg level but a couple of things that might help generally.

First take some antihistamine the next time you are bitten as you seem to be getting a bad reaction to the bites, I get a similar reaction and take a piriton tablet and it helps a lot, seems to work for me.

Secondly buy some avon skin so soft moisturising cream, biting insects hate it and will leave you alone, I'm not kidding it works really well its an old fishing tip :thumbup: Alternatively buy some insect repellent that contains DEET, a product called jungle formula used to work for me. Both these work but the avon cream is kinder on the environment and your skin.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
No idea about the raised bg level but a couple of things that might help generally.

First take some antihistamine the next time you are bitten as you seem to be getting a bad reaction to the bites, I get a similar reaction and take a piriton tablet and it helps a lot, seems to work for me.

Secondly buy some avon skin so soft moisturising cream, biting insects hate it and will leave you alone, I'm not kidding it works really well its an old fishing tip :thumbup: Alternatively buy some insect repellent that contains DEET, a product called jungle formula used to work for me. Both these work but the avon cream is kinder on the environment and your skin.

Thanks, missis has some piriton or something for her hay fever, might look at that.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Every thing that bites picks on me but the Avon s.s.s. works the. Flavour :?: is soft and fresh and I think it only comes in dry oil body spray ,but if I do get bitten I find that tea tree oil and lavender oil stop the itching
CAROL

Nikkig

My Gran always swore by a paste mixture of bicarbonate of soda and water on the bites and it really works! :crazy: