1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Butter or no Butter

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by wiseowl_123, Oct 16, 2017.

1. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

If the OP didn't want people to discuss the topic s/he had raised, then perhaps s/he shouldn't have posted about it on a public forum. Anyone who includes the words "statins" and/or "cholesterol" in a post can expect several pages of discussion to follow.
    Sally

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Kerry gold Irish butter is the best butter ever. However I would need to travel out of state for it now which I just might do.

The butters I find are either organic ( no gmo in the feed) or they say pastured which can mean almost anything. We have been trying different butters lately and our favorites are alway pastured Irish butters. Never found grass fed and organic. Some health food specialty shops sell 100% grass fed. Doubtful you'll find it in any regular or chain store but you never know

Although some regular stores do carry Kerry gold.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Oh I so kiss my Kerry gold!!! It's been banned in my ' dairy' state. There's actually a law suit going on. There is no better butter!!

Might have to go to the next state over and stock up. We have a large upright freezer haha

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Why has it been banned for goodness sake?

5. woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My only disappointment since changing my diet is that I can only stomach avocado when eaten with certain foods like prawns or chicken. Often it simply makes me feel sick.

Oh just remembered another disappointment Lidl protein rolls. They are just vile even toasted with lashings of butter on them.

Sorry WiseOwl going off topic. I am a very fussy eater and I've never liked the taste of spreads or marg so I've never tried Flora pro active. Look forwards to reading your results.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

A pound of butter on sale here is between 4 and 5 Canadian dollars.
    Kerry gold if I can find it is 12.
    I'm sure it's good but out of my price range.

• Like Like x 1
  8. badcat

badcat · Guest

your post wasnt one of the ones I was referring to - yours was witty and spoke only of your own position.
    The ones I was particularly referring to were those citing the badness of the ingredients of the spread the OP has chosen to use in their experiment - referring to the other persons choice being "toxic sludge" is the most extreme example among a number

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

We are a DAIRY state and its Imported or something stupid like that. We have been saving one pound in our freezer as we will both cry when it's all gone. Lol. Time to take a road trip
    avo can be a rather heavy food with its good fats and fiber. I only eat about 1/3 at a time but I don't eat large meals so it keeps me full and bg happy for hours. Sorry you can't have it. Or stick up on prawns and chicken !! Goes lovely with those chopped up in a salad

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  10. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Kerrygold is about 85% grass fed. Like most cows in the UK they are in pasture most of the year, eat silage in the winter with suppliments that are probably grains.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Would you eat that stuff @badcat ? after reading the ingredients list?
    I was just advising the OP that it doesn't sound very nice and probably won't do them any good.
    If they choose to eat it then fine... we are all adults after all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. badcat

badcat · Guest

No but thats not the point.
    What you, I or anyone else would eat is irrelevant - the OP is an adult who has made a decision to use the spread for 3 months in preference to butter to test the effect of the change, presumably based on the results, they will then make further dietary choices.
    To assume they have not looked into what they are choosing to use and need someone else to tell them that they are choosing to eat "toxic sludge" is something I would see as disrespectful and therefore v inappropriate

• Winner Winner x 1
    #32 badcat, Oct 16, 2017 at 6:55 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
  13. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

Yes, but the rest of the readership perhaps don't know what the butter substitute actually is, so the posts by people who gave further details are a public service. This is the point of a forum. If someone simply wants to make a public announcement, I believe The Times has columns for that sort of thing.
    Sally

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

It is my belief that if an OP posts something they are looking for other peoples thought, feelings and experiences. Trying to point out that a particular food they are eating is not healthy might be something they over looked and / or didn't realize. Not all diabetics are nutritionists. If I was eating an unhealthy food I would hope someone would point that out. As said, we are all adults and if the op wants to eat it after we e shared our opinions, views, experiences and s/he certainly should. Maybe they have information now that they didn't have before and make a decision one way or another.

My point is that if someone were to tell me dairy is cow pus ( which is how I think of it knowing what I know) i would just move on. Though I do think of it as such it doesn't stop me from digging in to my cheese tray every night. We all make our own decisions and I don't think the OP would have posted if h/she didn't want to hear our voices.

As always, just MY opinion

I think all this bickering has scared the OP off

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #34 Kristin251, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:09 PM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

@badcat

The OP (@wiseowl_123 ) has been a member here long enough to start several threads and ask many questions. So s/he is well aware of how this forum works, and how enthusiastically helpful people are in offering their opinions.

Perhaps we can wait until Wiseowl logs back on, and lets us know if s/he objects to any of the comments and perspectives that have been posted.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. caroline_92

caroline_92 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Great triG and HbA1c which are the ones that count - well done & don't ditch the butter for processed fat!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Exactly. Because due Unilever's newspeak margarine with some esterifies fitosterol is marketed as healthy and usable to lower cholesterol. They market as healthy and dietetic the Solero too. The interesting thing is in fact that in the pro activ site there isn't an ingredient list. Anyway high-quality fat and margarine I think are mutually exclusive.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning all my friends and I thank you all for your posts,you have all helped make this a very important and valued thread and it has given me food for thought,I always respect and value your replies,I have taken no offence at any of the posts,indeed it is all of you who a year ago helped me so much and got me this far,have a lovely day,I have just realised that when my cholesterol was in the 3's I was taking Metformin (it has only risen since stopping)another question perhaps;):)

Just a small edit as I came out of the review the nurse said your doing brilliantly well just keep doing what you have been doing(LOL)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #38 wiseowl_123, Oct 17, 2017 at 6:35 AM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  19. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Butter has just started being in my staple diet. As kids butter was for the men only.
    Women still outlive men, even now with advanced medicines.
    I use butter but lightly. Yes a need for a healthy body if no other fat in the diet.
    Out of interest is mayo made with butter or oil? I've just googled to remind me. So groundnut oil for a thick mayonnaise. No butter in sight nor processed oils.
    I've used mayo for marg in my student days.
    My mum has mainly used marg all her adult life. Stork was common in the 70s, mainly for baking. My mum has fatty liver but no diabetes.

20. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Even before reading the article the two ingredients that jumped out at me were sunflower oil and plant sterols. There is a school of thought that suggests plant sterols could be quite harmful. I say again, I'm sticking to butter, it's mine, all mine!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook