Butternut squash

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
My daughter has just introduced me to her roast butternut squash soup. Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my carb counter book, (probably left in my hotel room on hols, so would someone help me and tell me if squash is high/ low carb? The soup is lovely. Consists of squash, onion, garlic and any other vedge thats laying around. Yum Yum.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Gosh Ebony,

look at your results versus mine and their is quite a difference!.
(Do not know which one is most trustworthy but it does demonstrate how difficult it is to be sure of food content) :?

Steve

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Many thanks, but your right about the differences. Going to eat it anyway :oops: and test to see what happens. Fingers crossed cos I like the stuff. Tasty and filling.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think both the sources above are from the US they do treat fibre differently to UK labelling
carb counts for butternut squash from Widdowson's the official UK tabless
For soup you'd have to take into account the other ingredient
100gm raw squash = 8.3g carb( fibre = 1.6 but this is in addition and shouldn't be subtracted)
100gm weighed baked =7.4g carb
This UK online source gives the same figures
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories-in-food/veg/Butternut-Squash.htm

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
It is an Aussie favourite only we call them Butternut Pumpkin. The soup is a wonderful comfort food and I have made gallons of it in my pre-diagnosis days. A sprinkle of nutmeg on top and a dollop of sour cream is so good. It is one of the vegetables not recomended by our diabetic dieticians to eat freely.
Doesn't work for me (too many carbs) so I suggest testing too.
Alison

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The 'Calorie Carb and Fat Bible 2009' agrees with phoenix 8.3g of carbs per 100g

A simple butternut squash soup recipe calls for 900g (2lb) of butternut squash = 74.7g carbs total and suggests 4 to 6 servings.

so if you divide 74.7 by say 5 it will equal about 15g of carbs per portion added to any other carby ingredients like onion etc you may use.

Test, test, test to find out how it will affect you

dragongirl

Funnily enough I've just found (2 weeks ago) that I can eat 12 cubes (ha! what size?? well maybe half to three-quarters of an inch but actually pretty roughly cut) of this stuff as one of two veg (say with 4 sprouts or with 2 cooked celery stems - and lots of meat of course) and not go into the 6s either at one hour or two. Isn't it odd how we all differ? I would never put it in a soup though with lots of other stuff. I've been keeping items separate for many months now, so I can assess impact. I say, give anything one try, two at most, and then make your choice.
DG

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I regularly eat home made Roasted butternut squash soup and it is truly delicious and thankfully doesn't put up my BG levels either - joy! 8) :D

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Folks,

OK I'd like to give it a try, does anyone have a link to a good recipe?

Steve.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I have just put my recipe on to the recipe thread -enjoy! :D

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thx,

I will try it and then post my pre and post BG's !!!
Here's hoping :D

Steve

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Bluenosesol said:
Folks,

OK I'd like to give it a try, does anyone have a link to a good recipe?

Steve.

If you GOOGLE "butternut squash soup" you will find 1000's of recipe's Steve, just pick one you like the sound of, some include other veg like carrots or onion etc Or get a basic recipe and experiment, thats what I often do :D

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Tested and joy of joy's I can cope with it. :lol:
As for the recipe, well mine varies depending on what's in the veggie rack. Basic it consists of -
1 small squash
1-2 red onions depending on size
1 carrot
1 parsnip
1 capsicum
salt ,pepper and garlic to taste
light coating of oil for roasting.
add anything else laying around and roast for 1 hour at gas 5
Bung in liquidiser with veggie stock cube and wizz.
Serves 6 - 8 easy.
8 in my case as I like small portions.
Experiment and enjoy. :)

dragongirl

Tried roasting the squash last night (wasn't interested in making soup) and one hour at gas 5 (a guestimate as no one had said at that point) nearly set the smoke alarm off! Still, it tasted better than boiled. I can imagine it liquidised with cream and seasoning and think it might be dead good.
DG