peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I need a new but cheap phone to go with my Miao Miao 2

My old ones had it

Has anyone got any suggestions / ideas please

The phone is only ever used for the MM2 not for calls so I do not need for it to be flashy just to have a stable Bluetooth connection to my Miao Miao 2

I have no idea about phones and any help with a name of one would be appreciated

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

you probably need to give a bit more info before ppl can answer.

budget?
Apple or android?

most people will only be able to answer from personal experience, which may not be any use to you.
For instance, I have a libre-iphone6s-apple watch 3-miaomiao2 setup. The apple products are both elderly, but do the job beautifully, and will probably continue like that for years.

But if you are thinking New models and Android, then my input won’t help you in the slightest.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I use a watlaa. The only things it does are to show me the time, current interstitial bloods and recent graph on the main watchface, plus I can set alerts (it vibrates against my wrist with a bit of sound), calibrate, and count the steps I take. A battery charge lasts about three days.
It was cheaper than just about all the others but I did have to wait for it to be shipped.

Last edited:

TypeZero.

I’m not a phone expert but I’d specifically look for phones with a long battery life.

I’m too lazy to switch off my Bluetooth and switch it back on every time I scan my Libre on the LibreLink app so my phone’s battery literally runs out twice a day. (iPhone 7)

Especially since you will use a MiaoMiao 2 which will require Bluetooth to be enabled constantly you would need to think about battery life. Apart from that I don’t think there’s a specific phone that’s good with Bluetooth connections they’re all around the same to be honest

TypeZero.

I use a watlaa. The only things it does are to show me the time, current interstitial bloods and recent graph on the main watchface, plus I can set alerts (it vibrates against my wrist with a bit of sound), calibrate, and count the steps I take. A battery charge lasts about three days.
It was cheaper than just about all the others but I did have to wait for it to be shipped.

Is the watlaa any good? I’m looking to get a smart watch to integrate my Libre with. I’m wondering whether it is worth it. It’s cheaper than most on the market but it only tracks BG and a few other stuff.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Like I said, the watlaa doesn’t do much, but I’ve found it ok. I do have to calibrate it a few times, but then I did that with tomato too, especially during the first few days of a new sensor. I didn’t want to spend a lot, so it suits me.
There’s a Facebook group Miaomiao Smart Libre Reader: reading posts there brought up the ticwatch and the fitbit as less expensive alternatives, but it’s probably best if you have a look at them yourself.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh, yes, I don’t think I said: the watlaa works as a stand-alone with the MM, so I don’t need to carry my phone around with me all the time. There are, I think, a couple of other watches that are also stand-alone. I love not having to cart the phone around wherever I go.

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
A plus 1 for the Watlaa watch. As @Fairygodmother has said it is not a smartwatch BUT is a standalone for the MM. PLUS you can set it up with Xdrip....the Watlaa will act as a collector and send the info to your phone for Xdrip

Reactions: Fairygodmother

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

budget?
Apple or android?

most people will only be able to answer from personal experience, which may not be any use to you.
For instance, I have a libre-iphone6s-apple watch 3-miaomiao2 setup. The apple products are both elderly, but do the job beautifully, and will probably continue like that for years.

But if you are thinking New models and Android, then my input won’t help you in the slightest.

The phone is only ever used for the MM2 not for calls so I do not need it to be flashy just to have a stable Bluetooth connection to my Miao Miao 2 the one I use now is an old Galaxy J3

The budget up to £150 max. Apple or android does not make a difference but I think a android is probably cheaper

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

budget?
Apple or android?

Hi,

budget?
Apple or android?

I’ve been Looking for a new phone but from reading the messages a Watlaa watch looks like the better option for me as I don’t really use the phone as a phone just a way of getting the Miao Miao 2 data.

Could you or anyone give me more details of where it’s from and can I buy it in the UK

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I’ve been Looking for a new phone but from reading the messages a Watlaa watch looks like the better option for me as I don’t really use the phone as a phone just a way of getting the Miao Miao 2 data.

Could you or anyone give me more details of where it’s from and can I buy it in the UK

https://watlaa.com/
I ordered mine on a Friday and the folowing Friday it was delivered (From China as well). To be safe it would be 2 weeks. They are REALLY helpful with any problems you may get setting up. If you get the watch and have any probs, give me a shout and I should be able to help

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
https://watlaa.com/
I ordered mine on a Friday and the folowing Friday it was delivered (From China as well). To be safe it would be 2 weeks. They are REALLY helpful with any problems you may get setting up. If you get the watch and have any probs, give me a shout and I should be able to help

Did you order it from the web site at the link you gave me because it looks like it’s in America or is that were you ordered it from and it just came from China.

Thank you for the help I definitely be getting one

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Did you order it from the web site at the link you gave me because it looks like it’s in America or is that were you ordered it from and it just came from China.

Thank you for the help I definitely be getting one

That was the website I ordered it from. The parcel had chinese stamps on so am guessing it was sent/made in China

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I got mine from America, so I made sure to quarantine the parcel thoroughly before I opened it.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Oooops, I just phoned the other half and she said it came from USA. DOH! I would have bet my house ojn it that it cam from China........................

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It’s there on the miaomiao site, so I’m not surprised we honk it comes from China, and I suspect we’re right. I believe the American shipping is through an agent.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have had sooooo many parcels from around the globe recently. EBay has a lot to answer for :hilarious:

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had sooooo many parcels from around the globe recently. EBay has a lot to answer for :hilarious:

Thank you to

You and the others for all info
I am going to order one from site if get problems no doubt I will be back me and tech do not get on.

again thank you for all the help

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
‘honk’ it comes from China? Goosemail. My pred text has got it in for me :joyful:

Reactions: porl69

peat5961

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for the great advice to get a Watlaa

Ordered it and same as you it came in about a week and it is working brilliantly

Did have a problem using xdrip + with it at the beginning each time I tried to link them together

The xdrip would keep losing connection or when it did work the Watlaa stopped working (finding) the Miao Miao

I looked at the posts about Watlaa & xdrip+ (your threads about the trouble you had) and used the settings you & the others had posted and

All seems to be working well now.

Thank you
to you and the others for all your help getting a phone replacement sorted out