1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Buying a tester

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Robbieswan, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Robbieswan

Robbieswan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was informed that I will get a tester to test my levels but I ideally need 2 as would like to keep one in the van as I drive. If the hospital won't give me 2, is there any recommendations as ones to buy or maybe ones to avoid ? Thank you in advance.

2. Robbieswan

Thank you. No I am still in hospital as just been diagnosed but I am thinking ahead.

• Like Like x 2
  3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @mahola . It's my understanding that the OP was only dx' d this weekend.
    So all is new to him.

• Like Like x 2
  4. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Robbieswan and @mahola if you want a spare metre just go to the website of the manufacturer of the metre you want and ask for one. Because you are type 1 they will probably send you one for free knowing you will use enough of their test strips to make up the cost of the metre.

@Robbieswan its probably best to get one that uses the same test strips as the metre you're given so you don't have to faff about with getting a prescription for two different kinds of strips.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Robbieswan

Wow what amazing and helpful advive. Thank you so very much

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. therower

From past experience a phone call to the supplier of your meter and an explanation that you only have one meter but need two is enough to receive a new meter in the post. You are vitally important to them, as you are aware, they make there money from you using there strips. The actual meters are something they are more than happy to give away if it means you use there strips.
    Go get another meter ordered:):):). I've currently got 4 . All from same company.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. therower

8. therower

Hi @Robbieswan . As a van driver and a newly diagnosed T1 I'm going to give you a useful tip.
    Your diabetes team should explain to you about the dangers of your blood sugars (BS) dropping low. When this happens it's what we call hypoglycaemia ( hypo ). A hypo, untreated is serious, especially when undertaking something like driving in your case. Your diabetes team should explain everything about hypos, if they don't then ask them.
    If our BS levels do drop into hypo range we need to consume sugar/ carbs. They have to be what we call fast acting. Orange juice, lucozade, jelly babies ( sounds crazy I know ) , Glucotabs, are all types of hypo treatments .
    Glucotabs can be purchased in tubes of 10 , great for keeping in pockets, or tubs of 50. Now these tubs of 50 fit perfectly into a can holder if you have one in your van. Keep a tub there at all times. They stay fresh as the tub is airtight.
    A pack of jelly babies in the door card and a drink in the glove box. You can never have enough hypo treatments with you, especially in your van.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. AM1874

AM1874 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Robbieswan ..
    If you can't get a second meter from the company supplying your first one the following websites might help ..

https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
    (or telephone: 01923 711511)
    for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
    http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
    (or telephone: 0116 2865000)
    who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
    I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The cost of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets.
    For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
    5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
    10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
    For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available
    Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips. For the bulk discount on strips for the SD Codefree, you need to complete the order (check the boxes to confirm that you are diabetic and the number of packs that you want). Then click on view basket and on the left hand side of the window you will see two boxes .. Coupon Code and Apply Coupon. Enter the relevant discount code in the first box and then click the Apply Coupon box. This applies the discount and adjusts the price .. and finally, you then proceed to checkout

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  10. catapillar

None of this is applicable to the OP, a type 1, whose strips will be free on prescription.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. AM1874

@catapillar
    But for a second meter ?? which is what the OP asked about .. and I did point out that this might be helpful if he couldn't get a free second meter from the company supplying his first one ..

12. therower

So why not just buy a second meter the same as prescribed one and never have to pay for strips?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AM1874

Whatever .. I give up .. I can't beat the posting police on here .. I am now cancelling my membership of this forum

14. catapillar

Yes. Still free on prescription. I currently have two type of strips on my repeat as I have been swapping between insulin pumps and I think my GP got narked with me reqularly writing a note on my script asking to swap strips so they've give up and stuck both strips on my repeat.

So if OP wanted a second entirely different metre for some reason that would be possible, if a bit of a pain in the bum.

As explained above, the much easier option would just be to get a second metre the same as the first (then he won't have to worry about having main strips and spare strips with him everytime he leaves the house) for free by ticking the box that says type 1 when requesting the metre.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Robbieswan

Thank you so much for all your help everyone

• Like Like x 1
  16. therower

You're input on type 2 diabetes is fine and benefits many T2 posters.
    Type 1 diabetes is a different beast all together. We are not policing, merely giving information relevant to the condition.

• Like Like x 3
  17. therower

The information given was relevant. Relevant to people who have to self fund. In this instance the op will not have to self fund.
    If heavens forbid he should have to purchase a second meter, what would be the sense in a meter that didn't suit his prescription test strips. The price of a meter suggested by AM1874 and strips would be far greater than the cost of a one off purchase of a meter the same as prescribed with no ongoing costs.
    I feel that AM1874 is trying to be helpful, but as a T2 doesn't have the knowledge regarding certain aspects of T1.
    I guess we all have different opinions.

18. Robbieswan

I was unaware that different strips service different meters.i assumed they were universal. Apologies if I offended anyone.

19. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Robbieswan ,

My experience with the "Accu-Chek meters (for instance.) is the company will send you a free meter as a spare if you give them a ring..

Same should go for any make of meter suplied by your HCP? Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes..

J>

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

OK, having a "spare" is a wise idea... No need for an apology. :cool:

Once you know what meter is given by your health care professional? Google the relivant company. A "help desk" should oblige a spare... Just tell em your a type one.. They may even send a natty case & batteries for gratice too!

Keep us posted how you get on...

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook