byetta metformin & insulin

colin1301

im type 2 diabetic on metformin and insulin which i inject 7 times a day total of 250 units
my doctor as advised me to start taking byetta because i am insulin resistant
he still wants me to take my insulin and metformin 500mg twice aday

i am a bit worried about the side affects and that the fact that most people dont take insulin and byetta together

he has told me its not licensed to take with insulin but there isnt much else he can do for me

i have lots of other medical conditions since my diabetes was diagnosed heart attack severe diarrhea asthma arthritis inlarged liver high collestral muscle pian etc etc
my other medication is as follows
creon, aspirin, ,clopidogrel, imdur, ranitidine, metroprolol, citalopram, atorvastin, pioglitazone, quinne , detrusitlol plus asthma inhalers.

am i worrying over nothing
colin

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That's a huge dose of insulin! What's your diet like? Have you tried a low carb way of eating. It's been shown to be efficatious against insulin resistance. Do you exercise? That too helps in insulin resistance
All I've read about Byetta has been good, but I've not read about it's being combined with Metformin and Insulin.
You'd have nothing to lose by reducing your carb intake to a low or Very low level.
I met a T2 diabetic man in Spain earlier in the summer, who was on massive insulin doses and wanted to reduce it.I suggested he try low carb and he did. He noticed a difference in a couple of days and had to reduce his insulin.His numbers improved too

colin1301

hanadr said:
That's a huge dose of insulin! What's your diet like? Have you tried a low carb way of eating. It's been shown to be efficatious against insulin resistance. Do you exercise? That too helps in insulin resistance
All I've read about Byetta has been good, but I've not read about it's being combined with Metformin and Insulin.
You'd have nothing to lose by reducing your carb intake to a low or Very low level.
I met a T2 diabetic man in Spain earlier in the summer, who was on massive insulin doses and wanted to reduce it.I suggested he try low carb and he did. He noticed a difference in a couple of days and had to reduce his insulin.His numbers improved too

thanks for the reply i do eat sensibly and try not to eat many carbs my sugars tend to be around 17 to 20 and try to excersise as much as i can my angina causes me a few problems when i exercise to much
but i will defo try and cut out more carbs thanks for the advice
colin

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
colin1301 said:
thanks for the reply i do eat sensibly and try not to eat many carbs my sugars tend to be around 17 to 20 and try to excersise as much as i can my angina causes me a few problems when i exercise to much
but i will defo try and cut out more carbs thanks for the advice
colin
Colin,
Your blood sugar levels are extremely high. If they are still that high despite the enormous quantities of insulin that you are taking then you must be eating astronomic quantities of carbohydrates. You need to cut right down on (or ideally cut out altogether for a week) all bread, cereals, pasta, rice and potatoes. Make up for it by having larger portions of proteins and vegetables with each meal. This will give you all the carbs (plus vitamins and minerals) that you need to remain healthy. Try it for a week and you will see your blood sugars very quickly drop to more manageable levels. But keep testing constantly because if you reduce your carb intake, then you also need to drop your insulin intake in line, otherwise you will just hypo.

Incidentally Byetta does lots of good things, but it does absolutely nothing to help insulin resistance. But, as said above, your BS levels look more indicative of carbohydrate overload than insulin resistance.