Byetta

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I advised a diabetic friend to register here because I thought there had been a lot of discussion on Byatta, which she is concerned about. I can't find any discussions. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,

Russ

martinbuchan

there are only 2 byetta users who have posted (? Dennis). There is not much experience yet, look up lizardspit.com for more info.

good luck.

Marty B

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Russ,

I believe there's only me and one other (who doesn't seem to post regularly on this forum). I was diagnosed as Type 2 in 2002 and have been on Byetta now for just over 4 months, so although not an expert, I have learned a lot about it both by personal experience and by discussion with one of the US blog sites http://lizardspit.blogstream.com/

I understand from my consultant there are only around 70 people on Byetta throughout the UK, one of the reasons being that NICE are being very picky about who qualifies to get it on NHS, plus some PCTs refuse to allow GPs in their area to prescribe it whether you qualify or not. I have to get it on private prescription.

You don't say what sort of concerns your friend has but if she or you would like to give me more details I will answer whatever I can. Either through this forum or send me an email privately.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Thanks, Dennis,

I may be a bit dim but I am unable to navigate to any discussion blogs or whatever with Lizardspit. Can you give me precise directions please?

I have urged my friend to register with this forum on Diabetes.co.uk, meanwhile she said she had been prescribed it but was worried about uncomfortable side effects and that weight loss is very slow indeed. I don't know if it is private or NHS. I will keep her posted.

Thanks again.

Russ

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Russ,

If you just click on the link I posted it should take you straight into the website. Once there you need to look at "We hange out here #5" and at the bottom of that text box is a line:
Posted by <u>Greg77</u> at <u>4:44 PM</u> - <u>387 Comments</u> <u>Add a Comment</u>

Click on the <u>xxx Comments</u> and it takes you into the comments section, where you can just read or add a comment.

On the weight loss side, Byetta acts in 2 ways:
- It slows down the rate at which food is digested, thereby making you feel full before you have finished your meal
- It works on the brain's hunger receptors, so the brain sends the message to your body that you don't really want a lot to eat!

I have found the weight loss side to be pretty effective and have lost 9k (20lb) in 5 weeks. Weight loss tends to be so rapid that in the States some doctors are prescribing it to obese patients who don't have diabetes simply as a weight-loss treatment. Most users seem to find that the weight loss continues for around 12-18 months then suddenly stops. Then after a couple of months it suddenly starts again. No-one knows why this happens.

Common side effects are:
- feeling nauseous - generally wears off after week or so but a few people have suffered badly and had to come off it. In my case I suffered mild queasiness for 3 days, then nothing since. Some users find the nausea comes back after very spicy food, but I have not experienced that.
- constipation - because it slows down the passage of food - didn't affect me
- more wind than usual - same reason as above
- feeling unusually sensitive to the cold - seems to be very common.

Less common is some hair loss - but only after around 2 years+ of treatment.

Pretty rare - pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas - very painful but fortunately also very rare)

The biggest disadvantage is that it has to be injected twice a day, but the manufacturers are working on a new version that has a single injection that will last a whole week. Currently under trial and hoping to release it within a year (but it will have to be re-evaluated by NICE so could be 2 years before we get it).

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask if any other questions or doubts.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Thanks very much, Dennis. That is all very helpful. I've passed all this info on to my friend.

Regards,

Russ