C Section - unable to drive but need to do school run [emoji51]

Dandilion

Any advice on what to do here?

I was originally told I was having baby out at 34 weeks as she wasnt growing right but thankfully since her last scan she has evened out and they are leaving her in until 37 weeks

I was of course ecstatic to hear this news as I was petrified of having her so early! HOWEVER the change in section date has now meant that my other half will be going back to work (abroad) 3 weeks after me having the baby. This means I still wont be able to drive when he goes away.

I have 2 other sons - one of which is at school and i simply dont know what to do about getting him there; we live in the middle of the countryside so it takes 20 mins to drive him to school (not possible to walk), there are no school buses, taxis will only take him if i strap the car seats in (which i will be unable to do as i injured myself further doing this last time i had a section), my mum doesnt drive, my sister is having her own baby around the time my partner goes away, the in laws are unable to help due to health and work commitments, and i have no friends who live my way to be able to pick him up and take him.

I literally do not know what other options may exist or what to do? i dont want to be fined for him missing school (and i dont want him missing school!) but what else can i do?? With my last section i tried to do too much too soon and hurt myself more so i couldnt drive for 8 weeks afterwards, so i dont want to go down that route again either...

Any help appreciated x

Reactions: hels

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Contact the school and see if they have any suggestions, perhaps.
I hope all goes well.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a notice board in the school? Or a parents whatsapp group or such? School newspaper? All good places to ask if someone would drive for you if you pay the extra gas and bake a cake or make a dinner or such.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would ask if there is any other mother who would take your son to school while you are unable to I am sure there would be someone who would be pleased to help and when you are able to drive again you could return the favour and take their child to school sometimes

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with what's been said already. apart from contacting the school to update them on your circumstances and to see if they have any ideas also try Facebook to communicate with other mums, am sure there is someone happy to help you, I know I would help another mum out if they were stuck :)

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My sons school have a school taxi service ( obviously have to pay ) but they take and pick up with child on own if this is something you wouldn’t mind
Congrats :) xxx

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was driving after 3 weeks form c section. I spoke to my insurance company and they said as long as I was fit and it was agreed by midwife/gp then no problems at all. I know some insurances point blank say no but most now will say it’s ok as long as you’ve had clearance from GP/health professional xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if your son's school would be content with home schooling for a few weeks, although, that said, how you might find the time to home school with a brand new baby might be a stretch if thre imagination.

Is there no way your husband could tweak his home dates?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any advice on what to do here?

I was originally told I was having baby out at 34 weeks as she wasnt growing right but thankfully since her last scan she has evened out and they are leaving her in until 37 weeks

I was of course ecstatic to hear this news as I was petrified of having her so early! HOWEVER the change in section date has now meant that my other half will be going back to work (abroad) 3 weeks after me having the baby. This means I still wont be able to drive when he goes away.

I have 2 other sons - one of which is at school and i simply dont know what to do about getting him there; we live in the middle of the countryside so it takes 20 mins to drive him to school (not possible to walk), there are no school buses, taxis will only take him if i strap the car seats in (which i will be unable to do as i injured myself further doing this last time i had a section), my mum doesnt drive, my sister is having her own baby around the time my partner goes away, the in laws are unable to help due to health and work commitments, and i have no friends who live my way to be able to pick him up and take him.

I literally do not know what other options may exist or what to do? i dont want to be fined for him missing school (and i dont want him missing school!) but what else can i do?? With my last section i tried to do too much too soon and hurt myself more so i couldnt drive for 8 weeks afterwards, so i dont want to go down that route again either...

Any help appreciated x
Glad your baby is happy to come out a little later and be full term! If you cannot get a mum or the school to help perhaps your son might have to be home schooled for a while? I know that is the worst case scenario because you don't want him to miss out on education nor get into trouble with the school. Not to mention having an extra small person around! Nonetheless you've put a lot of pressure on yourself to manage school runs and this time will be tough enough with your partner being away.
Had a quick look at Mumsnet and the answer ranged from 5 days to 6 weeks with the main criteria being ability to do an emergency stop plus also an prohibition from your insurance company or obstetrician.
To get fit to drive again you can begin gentle pelvic floor exercises which will also tone up your abdominal muscles. Be really careful about lifting anything heavier than your newborn. But it all depends on how well you are healing up and some times that will be beyond your control and you are understandably nervous because you have previously not healed up so well.
3rd time around I did heal up faster than the 2 previous times because I was a pro by then.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know with a newborn what I am about to say is totally impractical, but it might be a just worth considering the timeframe involved.

When I had a hysterectomy a few years ago, the gynae told me if I could resist lifting anything heavier than a kettle of water for the first two weeks after my op, I would bounce back pronto.

I was cleared for swimming every day from 3 weeks, post-op and drive as soon thereafter as soon as I felt confident. My insurer was happy with that. I was delighted.

I appreciate a newborn is going to be heavier than a kettle of water, but I think what I'm suggesting is your husband does as much lifting and carrying as possible for you in those first couple of weeks.

When I was having shopping delived, I would just explain to the delivery man I couldn't lift or carry and he'd bring the shopping into the kitchen, where I could unpack it at my leisure.

Good luck with it all. Exciting times!

Dandilion

Thank you for everyone’s responses :)

Unfortunately no mums at the school would come out my way to get my son as I am in the middle of nowhere (whereas they all live near the town the school is in) - i had posted on the school FB groups to check but alas no :(

I spoke to the school about it and they’ve said that under the special circumstances they will authorise for my son to be off school for a week or two and they will electronically send any work over (thankfully half term falls the week my partner goes away so it will only be a few weeks maximum).

Now I just need to find a way to occupy him at home for a few weeks as well as his 2 year old brother and a baby (note to self - plan age gaps better next time!)