C sections....

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello how many of you have given birth naturally??? So far I am having a natural birth which is what I 100% want but I'm just so terrified that I will have to have a c section!! I know 2 or 3 diabetics and all 3 had emergency c section....I know it can't be helped but I am freaking out and I'm only 21 weeks lol xx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi sorry I had emergency section first time after failed induction (had severe pre eclampsia) then opted for section second time with my twins. Back still hurts now 4 months on!x

ktbubble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know lots of diabetic women who have had natural births. Talk to your midwife for some reassurance, to hopefully put your mind at ease. X

Reactions: 2 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister (also t1) had 2 natural births (11 months apart) & I had a planned c section because I wanted to make sure I knew what was happening so no emergency rush for me.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @ohitsnicola
First have to congratulate you. It is ages since we last spoke on here, and I am so pleased you seem happy and settled.

Hope you continue to be well, and the best thing I can advise is to try to relax and look after yourself. C section is more likely to be needed if you are anxious and tense. Do be aware that lots of people will tell first time mums horror stories about giving birth. Take no notice.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Nicola, I had my first ever operation at 42 1/2 and that was an emergency C section !! Sometimes things happen in pregnancy and a C section is needed for the safety of the baby and also the mother.
I recovered well and no visible scar can be seen either. So, wishing you a safe and natural delivery, but remember a first time birth is a little scary and anxious for most first time mums, but intervention will only take place if absolutely needed, natural is always best also have a look for posts from new mums, I'm sure anna29 started a thread :) x

nmb264

I had an emergency c-section after going into labour naturally but baby was in distress after a long few hours. Getting my baby out safely was my priority and I found the section and recovery totally fine.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the others have said try not to worry about this. I wasn't diabetic when I had my children but my first was through an emergency c-section at 30 weeks. When it's an emergency you soon change your mind and are grateful that they are taking care of you and your baby. Don't believe people who tell you that if you have your first baby by c-section then your next one will be too. Mine wasn't.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have 3 children - all natural births :)

Don't worry about it. Concentrate on keeping yourself and baby well, and enjoy your pregnancy :)

jade88

It went really well my body responded well to the induction and I had him the following afternoon! I was only actually in active labour for 4 hrs! Had a sliding scale which was a godsend and blood sugars stayed stable throughout!

Charlie's blood sugars were a bit low when he was born do they took him to neonatal and fed him through s tube until they improved - I honestly think that was the hardest part! xx

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My induction was started at 38+1, Lumi was born naturally (with forceps) 38+3. I felt neither my body or the baby were quite ready, she was still in a pretty high position (and small, birthweight was 2.7kg). And I had zero signs of body preparing for labour. But the drugs did their thing in the end, tho it was very close to becoming a c-section.

I was nervous about the induction and tried to gather all variety of extra help to make it work. Like hypnobirth (heh, which wasn't for me but it was harmless) and I also saw a chiropractor a few times (recommended by my nct course leader) who helped to move the baby to a slightly better position. Well, maybe helped :)? Might have been mumbo jumbo but it made me feel better.
Kept pump on till end (even in operation room) and Lumi had good blood sugars from start. X

D

Deleted member 83869

Hello, thank you for all of your replies....it's not the fact of having a scar that scares me etc as I have plenty of them it's about being under the knife whilst awake, I had a panic attack and myself really Ill for my last op and I was being put out for that! I know sometimes it's got to be done but I'm just terrified! And I've had bad experience with catheters in the past too....it just all freaks me out way too much! X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A section is a possibility for any pregnant woman, but it's something the team aim to,avoid so they won't be leaping in there unless they have to.

One of my labours went on for ages and ages (I don't respond well to induction drugs) but I never felt rushed or hassled to have a section. I was checked and looked after really well, and allowed to give birth naturally. And when I say I don't respond well to induction drugs, I really mean that, but I still managed ok without a section.

I can't stress enough how your body takes over during labour and how all your instincts kick in. Nothing is more important to you than your baby. If they said they had to cut my arm off, I'd have gritted my teeth and let them. I can't explain how strong that protective urge is, but the surge of love you feel for your baby will override any amount of scariness :) You can do anything when you have a baby :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And remember there's nothing to say you'll ever need a section :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It went really well my body responded well to the induction and I had him the following afternoon! I was only actually in active labour for 4 hrs! Had a sliding scale which was a godsend and blood sugars stayed stable throughout!

Charlie's blood sugars were a bit low when he was born do they took him to neonatal and fed him through s tube until they improved - I honestly think that was the hardest part! xx

Hey @jade , how are you and Charlie doing ?
Enjoying being a mummy. :p
xxx

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I gave birth 4 months ago naturally after being induced . No complications at all ..

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had 2 successful inductions. Good luck.