Cabin crew

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Are there any type 1's who work as cabin crew? I believe I was refused by two major airlines due to my diabetes as both my interviews went very well!!!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm not sure, some people say you can and some people say you can't. But if you have well controlled diabetes I can't see it being a problem. I've wanted to do it for so long and I'm graduating from Uni next year and would love another shot at it!

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Perhaps at your next interview don't mention your diabetic.

A

AnnieC

I thought thAt was 1 of the jobs that we weren't allowed to do? I no type 1s cnt be pilots or prison officers and there's another few jobs

Are diabetics obliged to tell employers that they are. I did not know that there were jobs you can't do because of diabetes

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There are certain professions that need to be made aware. If there is a medical required then you should tell them. If you say you are not diabetic and are later found out, this could constitute misconduct. I agree that an employer cannot base a decision on medical grounds but extremely difficult to prove.

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
airline cabin crew is listed on diabetes.co.uk as a job you cannot do if insulin dependant although so is ambulance service and I saw a type 1 lad on one of those junior paramedic programmes.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That list is out of date. I am T1 and in Fire Service. According to diabetes.co.uk the fire service is a profession that is not available to those on insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That list is out of date. I am T1 and in Fire Service. According to diabetes.co.uk the fire service is a profession that is not available to those on insulin.

But you were already in when you were diagnosed.. Does that make a difference?

I know that soem offshore operators will not take people on with T1, particularly for certain roles.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
But you were already in when you were diagnosed.. Does that make a difference?

I know that soem offshore operators will not take people on with T1, particularly for certain roles.
No, doesn't matter. I'm not saying it looks great on your CV but officially, cannot discriminate if you can show good control.

david6026

Where in the world are u a fire fighter ? Ya c I went for the fire service 3 years ago before I was diabetic and passed the 1st stage of physical fitness then went back to do the tests and didn't get it but want to give it another shot when there next recruiting but my mate an active fire fighter for Northern Ireland fire service said that type ones wouldn't get in so I took his word but now u have said this I will have to look into it ...

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Where in the world are u a fire fighter ? Ya c I went for the fire service 3 years ago before I was diabetic and passed the 1st stage of physical fitness then went back to do the tests and didn't get it but want to give it another shot when there next recruiting but my mate an active fire fighter for Northern Ireland fire service said that type ones wouldn't get in so I took his word but now u have said this I will have to look into it ...

UK. You are entitled to apply. PM me if you require further assistance/advice.

Reactions: 3 people