Cake, Biscuit Etc Recipe Ideas For A Care Home Please

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I'm moving from being a Social care assistant in a residential care home for 10 yrs, to working as a domestic in the home kitchen. Part of my duties will be baking some days. I would like to come up (with your help) with ideas of good diabetic friendly cakes, biscuits and tray bakes. Lots of the cakes etc baked there at the moment are loaded with sugar and chocolate.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @berylc you could have ago at these:

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake - just use a sweetener instead of sugar (I use erythritol)

Lemon zucchini cake - adapted from a sugar based recipe:

250g erythritol
90 ml extra virgin olive oil
2 eggs, room temperature
75 ml almond milk (unsweetened)
Juice/zest 1 large lemon (separate, don’t put in same dish)
1 tsp vanilla extract
215g ground almonds
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ tsp salt
225g courgettes drained and squeezed dry
45g chia seeds

Preheat oven to gas 4

Spray a loaf pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside.

Combine ground almonds, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the erythritol and olive oil. Whisk to combine.

Add eggs and almondmilk and whisk together.

Add lemon juice and vanilla extract and stir to combine.

Add flour mixture and stir just until incorporated.

Fold in zucchini and lemon zest.

Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. The top of the cake should look dry.

Place the loaf on a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes. Use the parchment paper to carefully life the cake from the pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

Tagging @shelley262 as she’s been working on a recipe booklet and is a more experienced baker than me so will have more ideas.

Reactions: geefull

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm moving from being a Social care assistant in a residential care home for 10 yrs, to working as a domestic in the home kitchen. Part of my duties will be baking some days. I would like to come up (with your help) with ideas of good diabetic friendly cakes, biscuits and tray bakes. Lots of the cakes etc baked there at the moment are loaded with sugar and chocolate.
Hi @berylc ill message you the final draft of the recipe booklet I’ve compiled it’s got a few cakes but also links to popular baking sites hope it helps.
Great that you are thinking about this
Edit just added you to a conversation with the file on hope it helps

Norman Stanley

If you are not worried about the kilojoules and want a really quick and delicious desert you can make sugar free ice cream with very little prep time using thickened cream, flavouring and some erythritol. One I particularly like (as my children love it and I can make it really quickly and with minimal effort) is 600 ml thickened cream, a melted 100 gram sugar free dark chocolate bar, about 1/8 cup of sugar free cocoa powder and around 3 tablespoons of natvia which is an erythritol / stevia blend. Mix well using a stick blender until it thickens nicely and chill in the freezer for a short time before serving. It is rich, chocolatey and very tasty and only around 5 carbs each for two big serves. Impact on my blood sugar levels - they usually drop after I eat this.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, congrats on the new job!

A lot of low carb baking uses nut flours, so you may need to clarify with the management where they stand on nuts and food allergies. Sometimes they are banned in schools and institutions.

The other thing to bear in mind is the cost. Low carb ingredients are much more expensive (but then they also have a lot more nutrition :) )

There are 1000s of low carb cake recipes out there.
Here are some links:

https://www.brit.co/low-carb-cakes/

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/category/desserts-and-cakes/

This one is nut free.
https://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/sugar-free-low-carb-sponge-cake/

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your new job :) - as someone who has an elderly parent in a care home I think this is a great idea but just wanted to point out that make sure any of the residents that are on insulin or meds such as gliclizide that person who is administering the meds knows that the cakes are a lot lower in carbs than normal so they can calculate accordingly. Especially if they are on set amount of insulin (like my dad) they need a set number of carbs per meal

Good luck with it all :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well done on your new job :) - as someone who has an elderly parent in a care home I think this is a great idea but just wanted to point out that make sure any of the residents that are on insulin or meds such as gliclizide that person who is administering the meds knows that the cakes are a lot lower in carbs than normal so they can calculate accordingly. Especially if they are on set amount of insulin (like my dad) they need a set number of carbs per meal

Good luck with it all :)

The care home will have a list of the residents medication and also allergies, so will the nursing staff and kitchen staff. My elderly dad was in a good care home until January 2018, when he sadly died at the age of 94. I don't know if they did low carb baking there, but the food was home cooked and looked very nice, also my dad wasn't on a lot of medication.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Good luck and all the best in your new role :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The care home will have a list of the residents medication and also allergies, so will the nursing staff and kitchen staff. My elderly dad was in a good care home until January 2018, when he sadly died at the age of 94. I don't know if they did low carb baking there, but the food was home cooked and looked very nice, also my dad wasn't on a lot of medication.
Agree, my dad's in a fantastic care home but there has been mistakes made - usually with bank or agency staff who don't always know everything they need to straight away. My point was if the cakes etc have always been baked with flour and sugar and it suddenly changes to make sure everyone knows :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Bernardrichii

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
your Lemon zucchini cake is awesome. i had try this at home and all member of my family specially my mother who is diabetic is like so much . thanks