Calibrating Libre 1 - minor grumble

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My latest Libre 1 seems to be reading low.
However I am having a bit of difficulty checking out how far it is out compared to my BG meter.

The reason is that my BG is almost never a flat line unless I am asleep; it is either rising or falling.
Rising in the morning, over the peak around noon, falling in the afternoon until the OMAD, rising again after the meal, then falling towards sleep time.

This means that I can never test where the Libre readings are more or less the same between 15 minute intervals.
We are all different and for all I know my Libre may be 10 minutes or 20 minutes behind my BG.
No biggie if my BG is more or less the same over 30 minutes, but the constant change could make any calibration incorrect and misleading.

Minor grumble two - if the Libre consistently reads low on me, the HbA1c calculation over 90 days (roughly 6 different sensors) will also be a low estimate which can lead to tears before bedtime after a blood test at the surgery.

I could spend a couple of hours testing every 15 minutes, Libre and BG, to look for trends but lack the motivation at the moment.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My latest Libre 1 seems to be reading low.
However I am having a bit of difficulty checking out how far it is out compared to my BG meter.

The reason is that my BG is almost never a flat line unless I am asleep; it is either rising or falling.
Rising in the morning, over the peak around noon, falling in the afternoon until the OMAD, rising again after the meal, then falling towards sleep time.

This means that I can never test where the Libre readings are more or less the same between 15 minute intervals.
We are all different and for all I know my Libre may be 10 minutes or 20 minutes behind my BG.
No biggie if my BG is more or less the same over 30 minutes, but the constant change could make any calibration incorrect and misleading.

Minor grumble two - if the Libre consistently reads low on me, the HbA1c calculation over 90 days (roughly 6 different sensors) will also be a low estimate which can lead to tears before bedtime after a blood test at the surgery.

I could spend a couple of hours testing every 15 minutes, Libre and BG, to look for trends but lack the motivation at the moment.

Hi @LittleGreyCat ,

If you wish to find something a little closer than what to expect.? & use your phone (Android OS) try scanning with the "Glimp" app or "xDrip?" These can be calibrated to your meter.
And a little more coherent user wise regarding spotting your BG trends..? With xDrip. No need to wast 20 minutes just count 4 dots back. Click on a dot, & see where you were that point in time...

Hope this helps.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi @LittleGreyCat ,

If you wish to find something a little closer than what to expect.? & use your phone (Android OS) try scanning with the "Glimp" app or "xDrip?" These can be calibrated to your meter.
And a little more coherent user wise regarding spotting your BG trends..? With xDrip. No need to wast 20 minutes just count 4 dots back. Click on a dot, & see where you were that point in time...

Hope this helps.

This is on the list.
Just not up to the angst of learning a new system at the moment.

I also expect that my next tranche of Libre will be Libre 2, so no idea what difference this will make.
I did try using Glimp alongside LibreLink but couldn't get my head round the GUI at the time.
Parked under "dedicated time needed".

I don't know if xDrip is any easier.

Hmmm....does Glimp or xDrip require a SIM in the phone?
I might try playing on an old Android phone which doesn't currently have a SIM.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is on the list.

I also expect that my next tranche of Libre will be Libre 2, so no idea what difference this will make.
I did try using Glimp alongside LibreLink but couldn't get my head round the GUI at the time.

Hi,

If you are using a SIM free phone, you could try using your wifi??

I'm currently using a new L2 at the moment. My device is a 6.1 Android phone? The new Librelink app used for the Bluetooth function is not compatable with the older device. & neither does my Bluetooth bridge work with the L2 algorithm?

I shall go back to the L1 till they become obsolete. Then I will plan a "workaround" with Bubble regarding my phone & watch.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is on the list.

I don't have a SIM card in my phone and use xDrip. Hope you can get it to work, as it's a big help.