1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Calories, Carbs and Losing Weight

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by sugarless sue, May 4, 2011.

1. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Calories, Carbs and Losing Weight.

Usually we talk about Carbohydrate reduction as being the most important thing in a Diabetics diet to help stabilize Blood Sugar levels and also to help lose weight.

I’m sure I’m not the only one however who ‘plateaued out’ at some point so I also decided to look at Calories as well as reducing the carbs.

Carbohydrate has 4 calories per gm.

Protein has 4 calories per gm

Fat has 9 calories per gm.

Working by using our respective RMR (Resting Metabolic Rates) we calculated the amount of calories we require daily.( Google RMR Calculator )

In my case 1550 taking age, height, weight and activity level into consideration. As I no longer lead a very active life because of injury this reduces my RMR total and amount of calories required. Therefore by eating round about 1000 calories daily I am slowly and steadily reducing my weight while still maintaining a healthy diet for me.

Similarly Ken does the same using his RMR calculations and he too is steadily losing the excess weight. These calculations can be found on some of the more reputable weight loss web sites and give a sensible way of losing weight. We also have to take into consideration the control of our BG levels as well and find that this way works well for both of us.

We both follow a reduced Carb low fat diet, me because I cannot eat a lot of fat and Ken because of other health considerations. Those that say you cannot sustain a stable body weight on 1000 calories or slightly more forget one thing, we are trying to lose weight not maintain it !

Obviously, once the ideal weight is achieved then you recalculate, always with Bg control in mind, so that you can then maintain your ideal weight and keep Bg control.

This is just another way of looking at a reducing diet, we use it but do not ‘push’ or say it is the ‘only way’ just another string to the bow when thinking about trying to lose weight.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook