Camel Milk

yipster29

Hi

Anyone else hear on Radio 2 that researchers have found camel milk to have a protein containing insulin in it, which actually doesn't get destroyed by the human digestive system?
All trials (OK.... not many yet!!) are showing that there is a deinite reduction in insulin needs for T1 with just 1 pint camel milk a day and apparently it is going through EU legislation to be allowed on supermarket shelves in the UK.

Dear Santa
Please may I have a camel :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds good, do they sell Camels on ebay or Amazon?

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Trez interesting.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this. Strawberry Milkshare to treat diabetes, anyone? :D

alaska

Camel milk -may help to reduce blood sugar spikes.

NB: You may notice a post-prandial hump instead.

yipster29

And to go with the milk shakes they're using it to make chocolate and ice cream!

Oh the glorious irony as the diabetics get to eat such things to 'lower our BG'!!!

I really don't fancy the job of milker though as they're grumpy beggars!!! :lol:

yipster29

Camel milk -may help to reduce blood sugar spikes.

NB: You may notice a post-prandial hump instead.alaska

BRILLIANT!!!!! :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catherinecherub said:
It tastes salty, comes from an ill-tempered and malodorous animal and is unlikely to improve a bowl of cornflakes,

I'm saying nothing!!!! :lol:

Nigel

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
PMsl @ Nige :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well it's very good to know that:
Zero prevalence of diabetes in camel milk consuming Raica community of north-west Rajasthan, India
Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2007 May;76(2):290-6. Epub 2006 Nov 13

That's one of the 6 results on pubmed for camel milk and diabetes.
another for which unfortunately not even an abstract is available is
Camel milk as an adjunct to insulin therapy improves long-term glycemic control and reduction in doses of insulin in patients with type-1 diabetes A 1 year randomized controlled trial
This may be the same trial reported in that prestigious publication the Journal of Camel Practice and Research and put online by a camel milk company :wink:(same date, same authors, slightly different title).
This found a significant drop in hba1cs (7.8 ± 1.38 to 6 ± 0.96; p < 0.001), and insulin dose (32 ± 12 to 17.88 ± 12.40; p < 0.005)in the group drinking 500ml a day of raw camel milk.(12 subjects) The camel milk also put weight on (MBI 17 ± 4.4 to 19.7 ± 2.97 ).
http://www.vitalcamelmilk.com/pdf/agrawal-2005.pdf
These are quite striking results but the trial included very small numbers....and...
For the moment I'll reserve judgement

BUT If anyone wants to provide their own anectdotal evidence
Milk from camels roaming the sandy deserts of the Netherlands seems to be available in the UK.Just google to find your nearest retailer. :lol:

edited sp. (two years later !)

iHs

Actually camel milk from the netherlands is available from an asian wholesaler not far from where I live. My nextdoor neighbour got me some a few months ago. It was frozen and needed to defrost before I could drink some but was all ok. I think it was about 3.50 per litre carton so no need for me to go to Harrods to get it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've managed to find a camel but had to trade the wife in exchange! :shock:

Nigel

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
iHs
Please can you do a test for us and if it lowers your bgs I may try to buy a she camel as I have a bit of spare garden and I am prepared to buy some sand. :lol:
CAROL

iHs

Actually, it doesn't taste that bad so as wholesaler warehouse is only 1/2mile away I'll go and buy some. As I only had the 1ltr carton before I couldn't say one way or another whether it did anything to alter my bg levels but if drunk on a regular basis, maybe it will :)