1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Camping food

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by sunspots, Jul 8, 2014.

1. sunspots

sunspots Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all! In a manic fit I have bought a little tent and plan to go camping next week. I won't have a fridge or coolbox so meat, cheese, cream, yoghurt, berries, salad etc. are out as they are not going to keep in this warm weather. Eggs and nuts will still be OK and anything I might be able to buy and eat straight away - if I can get to a shop before it closes at 5pm. But are there ideas that I'm missing here? What can I have LCHF that

doesn't need to be kept cool
    can be cooked in a single pot over a Triangia
    isn't just wilted vegetables and some nuts or eggs

?

Plus what can i take into the mountains to eat?

At this rate I'm going to have to live on omelettes (hot and cold).

• Like Like x 2
  2. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Egg, bacon, sausages, burgers, mushrooms, peppers - great camping food. We are veteran campers. I can't see why you wouldn't take salad. It'll last a few days. Just keep it in the shade. If you only have a small stove you need things which are thin - so thin sausages, mushrooms sliced up - to cook quickly. If you have omelette, throw some sliced ham in it and grate some cheese on top. Tinned soup is good, but check the carbs. Tinned tuna. Tinned tomatoes. Tinned corned beef. Corned beef cooked with tinned tomatoes and tinned mixed veg makes a good camping stew, especially with an oxo cube chucked in.

Remember to take matches, tin/bottle opener, sharp knife, grater etc.

Where are you going?

#2 RosieLKH, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  3. Ian DP

Ian DP LADA · Well-Known Member

Take loads of Peperami. It does not need to be refrigerated. Each stick contains 0.4g carb, 11g fat, 6.1g protein. Also tinned meat and fish and Mushrooms.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as close to 'normal' as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.
    Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. Lenny3

Lenny3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Tinned stuff sounds great, also you can get frankfurtas in jars that I don't believe need refridgerating. Also if you camp near a small stream or river you could somehow stake a bag to the side and hang things in the river to keep cool?

5. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Check out your campsite, a lot of them now provide fridges/freezers you can put your stuff in (at your own risk, but we campers are generally an honest lot!)

6. sunspots

I forgot to list matches! Good point!

I've been shopping and bought some of your suggestions. I'll still skip salad (as in lettuce) though because I hate it all wilted and if it is sunny I'm unlikely to find much shade. I'm planning to camp at Gwern Gof Uchaf or Garth Farm or Dolgam. None are rife with facilities which suits me. I doubt there is much shade at GGU, although all of Wales is probably going to be shady in reality.

7. sunspots

Peperami will be good for packed lunches (although I hate them!). Are they still covered with a pig's foreskin?

• Like Like x 2
  8. sunspots

I'll look out for a stream. They sound lovely too (if it's not too far to the toilet block...)

9. sunspots

I think the campsites I'm considering are a bit too small to have fridges and freezers.

10. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You'd be amazed, a lot of the "farm" sites where it's a basic loo block field set up are the ones that have them rather than the "posh" sites farmers seem to recycle there old house ones into the sink block. The bigger ,"posher" ones expect everyone to have an electric hook up (I do in my old age, nearly 40 now you now! ;)

11. Ian DP

Ian DP LADA · Well-Known Member

They do them in various flavours. I don't think they are pigs foreskin. I think it is plastic.... But either way I push it through and discard the outer skin. Five packs from most supermarkets.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as low as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.
    Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  12. Randburg

Randburg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bully Beef/ Corned Beef in a can, we have a no Carb version in South Africa

13. RosieLKH

I love Snowdonia, but my very favourite place in Wales is here:http://www.hafoddywyllcampsite.co.uk/
    We used to live in Leicester, so were equal distances from west or east coasts, but if you ever want to head east we love the campsite on the clifftop at Happisburgh.

Being utterly anal, I have a camping list. We take a duvet as a mattress. Those disposable BBQs are good.
    Holiday List - Camping - England

Alchohol
    Blanket
    Books
    Bottle opener
    Camera
    Candles
    Clothes
    Coats
    Coffee pot
    Cookset
    Cups
    Cutlery
    Dog bowl
    Dog food
    Duvet
    Fire grill/BBQ
    First aid
    Food
    Gas stove
    Glasses
    Hairbrush
    Maps
    Matches
    Mats
    Money
    Notepad & pens
    Paintbox
    Pegs
    Pen knife
    Pencils & pad
    Pillow
    Plates
    Scrubber
    Shoes
    Sleeping bags
    String
    Tea towel
    Tent
    Tin opener
    Toilet roll
    Towel
    Umbrella
    Wash bags
    Washing-up liquid
    Water bottle
    Wind breaks

• Like Like x 6
  14. sunspots

The campsite looks lovely. I've bookmarked it so even if I don't visit this time I may do in future.

Like you I'm a real list maker. I like the way your alphabetical listing brings alcohol to the top! If you wrote 'wine' it would sink to the bottom...

• Like Like x 2
  15. sunspots

I think I should have one really. Crawling in and out of a little tent at 49 might be asking for trouble! I keep forgetting I'm not 20 anymore (I've been forgetting for 30 years!)

16. RosieLKH

We've progressed to a camper van.
    [​IMG]

In 2010 we chucked in our jobs and took off for a year around Europe in it. We took our old dog, kept a blog of our travels and had a whale of a time. Best thing we've ever done.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dear God.....:eek: Were they ever ???

Signy

18. jim1951

jim1951 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Always best to put the most important things top of the list!

jim

19. Scimama

Scimama Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Haven't been camping since diagnosed, so really made me think, some random suggestions - not full meal ideas!

sugar free peanut butter
    flaxseed mixes (from H&B, add hot water and get instant breakfast 'cereal')
    Sugar free jelly in ready made pots

Olives and jar of peppers (or fresh as they keep a while even in sun) to eat antipasti style with your peparami

do you have a power socket in your car for a plug in coolbox?

20. sunspots

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook