1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can’t sleep for thinking of other diseases

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by Deborah 85, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Deborah 85

Deborah 85 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hey,
    I have no idea if anyone else has fears of developing heart disease or any other disease this condition brings, for me, I sometimes lay away at night and think I’m going to have a heart attack in the middle of the night or if I have a sore left upper arm I think this is it it’s happening, I have a constant fear this will happen. Doesanyone else have these thoughts or is it just me? X

• Hug Hug x 7
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Deborah 85

Sorry to hear about this. Are you having symptoms that trigger the sleepless nights, or is this something that’s worrying you more generally? In either case it might be as well to have a chat with your GP to see if they can help.

3. Deborah 85

Deborah 85 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hiya,
    No not having any symptoms I’m just constantly worried that I’m going to end up having a heart attack ir that something is wrong with my heart. I have a GP appointment in a few weeks but in general it scares me.

• Hug Hug x 1
  4. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

It sounds like some form of anxiety - talk it through with your GP at the appointment so they can make an informed judgement.

5. Metabolism_Boss

Metabolism_Boss Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this. I think we all have these fears to some extent. For example my own fear is Alzeimer's disease. When I can't recall the name of someone I know well or I do something really stupid, like search for a shoe I actually have in my hand - is it absent-mindedness or something more sinister? However, your anxiety seems to be greater than transient fears and talking to your GP about them is a sensible step.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do the best you can; don't worry about the rest.

7. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are you in good control of your diabetes or is it controlling you? If it’s the latter it may be fuelling your anxiety. If control isn’t great how about being proactive by reducing numbers, then the risks are greatly reduced. You have that power. So much fear is created by the stats often quoted but they apply to badly controlled/undiagnosed diabetics in the main. Please chat to your dr but always keep reminding yourself that good control = lower risks.

And to be honest almost everyone has some form of risk of something. It’s about finding a way to keep that in perspective that works for you. Other areas of stress and worry in life can also leak over into health anxiety too. If that’s the case can you address those?

8. aard

aard · Member

no even though i do have other things which mean i have greater chance of heart attack. However I do worry about leg amputations and diabetes!!!

9. Mike Sixx

Mike Sixx · Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure there will by symptoms. I been told by by my doctors that the nerves in feet and toes are first to go, then eyes. You would have serious vascular problems problems in your feet. So the heart is not first to go.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook