Can a spike in BG actually cause neural symptoms?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all. I have noticed that when I was having frequent, highish BGs I would get horrible shooting, very itchy pains in the soles of my feet. I worried about neuropathy, cut right down on carbs, and they disappeared. Recently however my BGs have risen again in the mornings and yesterday I had that same unbearable pain/itch again a few hours after breakfast. I know it isn't neuropathy per se but could it nevertheless be caused by the raised BG?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Y
Hi all. I have noticed that when I was having frequent, highish BGs I would get horrible shooting, very itchy pains in the soles of my feet. I worried about neuropathy, cut right down on carbs, and they disappeared. Recently however my BGs have risen again in the mornings and yesterday I had that same unbearable pain/itch again a few hours after breakfast. I know it isn't neuropathy per se but could it nevertheless be caused by the raised BG?

Well, it could be the start of neuropathy. As long as there is no permanent damage you can recover if your BGs are under control.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks urbanracer!