1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can a type 2 who’s recently been diagnosed get insulin sensitivity like a non diabetic

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jessielouiseb, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Jessielouiseb

Jessielouiseb I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

so someone who’s recently been diagnosed and maybe got their blood sugar to non diabetic levels, can they fix their metabolism and have the same amount of insulin sensitivity compared to a healthy non diabetic

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Probably..although you would need to define how you would measure it....

3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

The other problem is that even though you may have only recently been diagnosed, you won’t necessarily know how long you have actually had it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jessielouiseb

Jessielouiseb I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well I had a blood test 5 years ago and everything was perfectly normal back then, my hba1c was 4.8

5. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

What if you had it less than a year? Decent chance?

6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I just posed the question, but I’m afraid I don’t have the answer! Sorry :(

7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

High blood sugar levels - high enough to get a diabetes diagnosis, are the last thing to happen. It all starts with high insulin levels, leading to insulin resistance and fatty liver. This can progress over many years, even decades, before sugar levels materialise into a diabetes diagnosis. As there were 5 years between your HbA1c of 4.8 and your diagnosis, you cannot tell how long you have had metabolic syndrome. Your blood sugar levels could have increased at any point in that time without you knowing it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

For me sensitivity has rapidly reduced. I had A1c of 5.3% 6 months before and 90 fasting sugar, then I got A1c of 6.1% but fasting is still 94mg/dl , so was not officially diagnosed prediabetic.
    But I know I am and I feel I am getting worse at a rapid rate. And no, for me I am unable to get to my previous sensitivity level. Even though I have caught this insulin resistance very early and been on keto diet, my sensitivity is not back to normal.
    I am still hopeful and trying to get the sensitivity back.
    I suggest you to try, because if you try to get atleast you will have a chance to get it back, but if you don't try you will never.

• Hug Hug x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook