1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can anyone actually feel their Blood Sugar Rising?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by daisy3174, Nov 27, 2011.

1. daisy3174

daisy3174 · Well-Known Member

Hi there I know this is probably an odd question but it has been doing my head in.I can actually feel in my body when my blood sugar is rising, after I have eaten,its like I am slowly getting drunk, I feel light headed and very warm, its actuall quite a nice feeling apart from the strange pain in the head that comes with it.Just wondered if anyone else feels this or am I going bonkers lol x

2. freddddy

freddddy · Member

I feel exactly the same.... but when my BG is dropping. I feel nothing when my BG is rising

3. daisy3174

Thanks, yes most people say they can feel theirs dropping, when I am dropping I become irritable, cold shaky and real horrible but on rising I feel nice, its weird x

4. Sue o2

Sue o2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When im going up i feel like im on fire, and when going low i get a slight headache before the feelings of weakness and trembling knees

Sue

5. didie

didie · Well-Known Member

I get a horrible panicky feeling in the right side of my stomach when my sugars are too high.

6. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cant say that I have ever felt my bg levels rising or falling, the only time I new anything were the few times I had hypos when I was on insulin, then you know all about it :lol: Uncontrollable shaking and instantly soaking wet with sweat.

I have never been one of those people who are 'in touch' with their bodies, I feel ill when I'm ill and I feel OK when I'm not and thats about it :D

7. AMBrennan

AMBrennan · Well-Known Member

Well, I felt quite bad after taking 30g glucose (BG 9.1 mmol/l up from 4.6 in about 10min - I had switched from 50g carbs from orange juice to glucose powder for swimming) - does that count?

8. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can't, I only know when I'm having a hypo that my bs is low. I wouldn't have a clue when it's high!

9. FindingNemo

FindingNemo · Well-Known Member

I always can tell when mine has a sudden rise. I feel really sluggish, quite often my head feels thick like a bad cold and my sinuses burn. This isn't permanent or a sign of a slow rising or maintained high, just when it goes from normal to high over a small space of time.

10. daisy3174

Hi, thanks all, feel a bit better now , thought I was going bonkers.My BG (similar to AMBrennan) rises very sharply, say from 6mmol to 13mmol in 30 minutes, so I guess thats why the feelings are so pronounced, my heart starts going like the clappers.However its the only time I feel good, if its below 5mmol I feel horrible, guess I must be back to front lol x

11. sugar2

sugar2 · Well-Known Member

Yup, a fast rise makes my eyes feel like they are bulging! :shock:
    Horrible, but useful as I know to do something about it..usually means that my pump has a problem somewhere.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook