Can anyone help me please , Type 2 diabetes

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not feeling healthy and in tip top condition
I am slowly putting on weight and cannot seem to control my eating, I just feel as if I need to settle on an eating plan and stick to it !!! I am heavier now than I have been for years. I was 8st 10lbs when first diagnosed as diabetic (approx. 5 yrs ago) I kept my weight steady for 4 yrs but I seem to get real cravings for sugar and bread lately. I am not as committed to the gym and my running as I was and I'm sure that this doesn't help. I am 57yrs old and am getting really scared that my weight and eating is getting out of control. I tried Paleo for 3 weeks and the weight started to come off, then I went to a wedding and 'fell off the wagon' I would like to try Low Carb High fat eating but I am worried about how that would affect my cholesterol. It has always been low (3.6) Is there anyone out there who could get me back on track.....please

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kazzers, welcome aboard.

My first comment would be that if you read through the forum you will see you have some good company, having varied from your well-worn path. That seems to be all part of our challenge; that it's an every day, every week, every month, every year challenge, so the odd meandering off-track seems likely, at some point. Don't beat yourself up. You're doing all the right things to re-grasp your control. I can't tell from your profile if you are taking medication, or have any other conditions that might impact you, so clearly I am assuming you don't..

There's quite a bit in your post, and I'll try hard not to ask the whole tsunami of questions all at once, but forgive me if I seem to just have a big list of questions.

The cravings you are experiencing are pretty common. The carbs in sugar, bread and the like, are addictive, but sadly, they are also the things we need to focus upon.

You say, weight is creeping on. How much have you gained, and is your 8st 10lb where you would like to get back to?

Are you taking any medication?

Assuming you have a meter; How are your bloods doing? What are your fasting and averages looking like?

If you don't have a meter, I would encourage you to invest in one. It really is the way to achieve immediate feedback from your own body. If you need to buy a meter, let us know and we'll point you in the right direction to do that cost-effectively.

Regarding a lower carb diet? I would urge you to give it a try. By reducing the carbs you eat you will be challenging your diabetes in the most direct way I know of. How much you need to adjust your fat intake is a very personal thing. When I reduced carbs, I didn't increase my fat intake for quite some time. I wanted to lose a bit of weight, and did, quickly, but eventually I have had to notch up my protein (less so) and my fats to halt weight loss. In doing so, my cholesterol improved. And importantly, my cholesterol breakdown is significantly improved. This cholesterol improvement is very, very common. It varies from person to person, but we would expect that?

Unless you have other underlying medical conditions; in particular cardio-vascular disease, then personally, I feel you have little to lose by giving it a whirl. If you try it, and you buck the trend of the majority of people's findings on here, and your cholesterol inches up to a level you are unhappy about, you can re-think, and take further advice. But, I would be confident your bloods would stay or come into line, and most people do lose weight.

Apologies again for all the questions, but the context really does help.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your cholesterol can indeed go up on LCHF but the break down usually improves. For example, my HDL is 2.2 and my Triglycerides are 0.7 and my LDL is lowest ever.

You could always give LCHF a try. I find it an excellent way to control blood sugar too. And very nice food!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If it helps, I have heart failure and T2 dbs. Since I have LCHF my bloods and sugars are now all in the normal range. My statin has been reduced to 10mg a day before we (HFN) stop them altogether. Also the materforum has now been stopped. Also talk about stopping other heart meds as my health and weight improves. Started LCHF back in Jan this year.
The high fat part was just ditching the low fat items in my food cupboard and replacing with full fat, like milk, cheese and other reduced fat products. I also found eating to my bs meter started me at 30gm of carbs a day .. Now can have about 50gm a day.

Reactions: 4 people

Zaphod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
fatty food,
Same problem trying to keep weight down. However I heard about the five two diet. Thought I'd give it a try. There are suggestions of recipes for T2 for the fasting days on this web site., I've tried a few and they are good. What is amazing is that as long as I psych myself up day before I find no difficulty in keeping to the 600 cals knowing that the next day I will eat as normal.
My carbs come from 5 rivitas the rest is veg and fish protein and granny smiths. Early days but I appear to be losing around 1 to 1.5 kg per week. I am now at my lowest weight for 5 years (but only just)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Kazzers, welcome aboard.

My first comment would be that if you read through the forum you will see you have some good company, having varied from your well-worn path. That seems to be all part of our challenge; that it's an every day, every week, every month, every year challenge, so the odd meandering off-track seems likely, at some point. Don't beat yourself up. You're doing all the right things to re-grasp your control. I can't tell from your profile if you are taking medication, or have any other conditions that might impact you, so clearly I am assuming you don't..

There's quite a bit in your post, and I'll try hard not to ask the whole tsunami of questions all at once, but forgive me if I seem to just have a big list of questions.

The cravings you are experiencing are pretty common. The carbs in sugar, bread and the like, are addictive, but sadly, they are also the things we need to focus upon.

You say, weight is creeping on. How much have you gained, and is your 8st 10lb where you would like to get back to?

Assuming you have a meter; How are your bloods doing? What are your fasting and averages looking like?

If you don't have a meter, I would encourage you to invest in one. It really is the way to achieve immediate feedback from your own body. If you need to buy a meter, let us know and we'll point you in the right direction to do that cost-effectively.

Regarding a lower carb diet? I would urge you to give it a try. By reducing the carbs you eat you will be challenging your diabetes in the most direct way I know of. How much you need to adjust your fat intake is a very personal thing. When I reduced carbs, I didn't increase my fat intake for quite some time. I wanted to lose a bit of weight, and did, quickly, but eventually I have had to notch up my protein (less so) and my fats to halt weight loss. In doing so, my cholesterol improved. And importantly, my cholesterol breakdown is significantly improved. This cholesterol improvement is very, very common. It varies from person to person, but we would expect that?

Unless you have other underlying medical conditions; in particular cardio-vascular disease, then personally, I feel you have little to lose by giving it a whirl. If you try it, and you buck the trend of the majority of people's findings on here, and your cholesterol inches up to a level you are unhappy about, you can re-think, and take further advice. But, I would be confident your bloods would stay or come into line, and most people do lose weight.

Kazzers, welcome aboard.

Kazzers, welcome aboard.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your cholesterol can indeed go up on LCHF but the break down usually improves. For example, my HDL is 2.2 and my Triglycerides are 0.7 and my LDL is lowest ever.

You could always give LCHF a try. I find it an excellent way to control blood sugar too. And very nice food!
those trigs are nice, under one also means your LDL are fluffy

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, the discipline isn't easy. Do reduce the carbs which should overall reduce the cholesterol and/or improve the ratio. You only need to increase the fat and protein enough to give you the overall nutrients you need and to make you feel full.

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Kazzers, welcome aboard.

I am slowly putting on weight and cannot seem to control my eating, I just feel as if I need to settle on an eating plan and stick to it !!! I am heavier now than I have been for years. I was 8st 10lbs when first diagnosed as diabetic (approx. 5 yrs ago) I kept my weight steady for 4 yrs but I seem to get real cravings for sugar and bread lately. I am not as committed to the gym and my running as I was and I'm sure that this doesn't help. I am 57yrs old and am getting really scared that my weight and eating is getting out of control. I tried Paleo for 3 weeks and the weight started to come off, then I went to a wedding and 'fell off the wagon' I would like to try Low Carb High fat eating but I am worried about how that would affect my cholesterol. It has always been low (3.6) Is there anyone out there who could get me back on track.....please

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Kazzers, welcome aboard.

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi And Breathe, I seem to have messed up this thread a bit , it looks a bit messy from this end !! I would definitely like to get back to 8st 10 . I am 10st 4 at the moment (I'm ashamed to say that) I take 2x850mg One morning and one at night. I was on 2x500g but my doctor increased it around 9 months ago . I was eating lots of sweets and cakes but didn't actually admit that to my GP :-( I don't have a meter and I have avoided going to the Doctor for quite a while now . I really need to go back and check in with my lovely Nurse who I used to chat to regularly about my weight, cholestral etc when it was all under control for a few years after I was diagnosed . Anyway I would like to thank everyone for their tips, support and advice. I am starting the LCHF straight away, and this isn't the last you'll hear from me . I'm hoping that I won't mess up the thread so much next time (i'll get used to it ) thanks again everyone :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kazzer - If you want to reply, just type in the box at the bottom of the page, and we'll manage to pick it up. You seem to be having a few problems......

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah. Our posts crossed. I'll read yours now.

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry about the 'mess' I see how it works now :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great that you're going to have a go at reducing your carbs, but to get the best out of it, you really do need a meter. Sadly our bodies don't react to all carbs in the same way. Some people can eat bread, and others not at all. It's similar with rice, and so on.

Most of we T2s have to fund our own meters, but the SD Codefree, from Homehealth is as cost effective as any of us have found. The meters all cost pretty much the same, but the strips vary enormously. Most strips come in at around £20 for 50, whereas the Codefree come in at around £7 for 50, or just over £5, if you buy in modest bulk. (5 or 10 packs qualify for the discount.)

The website address is: http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

Scroll down, and it's all there. As diabetics, we qualify to buy these items VAT free.

I know it's a pain that we have to self-fund, but unless you can interrogate your body's reaction to any given food, you will be rather floundering and could be either achieving little, or denying yourself needlessly. Neither being desirable, I'm sure you agree.

Once you have a handle on how you react to your regularly eaten foods, you can certain test less, and some even give up testing routinely.

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for the link, I'll have a look at the website . I feel much more positive about it now , I am going to bite the bullet and go and get some readings from my Diabetic nurse as a staring point too. i'll let you know how It goes

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi And Breathe, I seem to have messed up this thread a bit , it looks a bit messy from this end !! I would definitely like to get back to 8st 10 . I am 10st 4 at the moment (I'm ashamed to say that) I take 2x850mg One morning and one at night. I was on 2x500g but my doctor increased it around 9 months ago . I was eating lots of sweets and cakes but didn't actually admit that to my GP :-( I don't have a meter and I have avoided going to the Doctor for quite a while now . I really need to go back and check in with my lovely Nurse who I used to chat to regularly about my weight, cholestral etc when it was all under control for a few years after I was diagnosed . Anyway I would like to thank everyone for their tips, support and advice. I am starting the LCHF straight away, and this isn't the last you'll hear from me . I'm hoping that I won't mess up the thread so much next time (i'll get used to it ) thanks again everyone :)
10 + stone?...I'll swap you :)
the first week sucks, don't say you wern't warned..drinks lots of water and add fat to everything, peanut butter and celery or something you can eat besides carbs when the cravings hit, I used creamed coconut block
and you need to add more salt

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm because carbs don’t give up easy.

testing
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

food count
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, please do keep in touch.

There are so many people on here with so much knowledge. It's a fabulous resource.