1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can anyone help with a typical days diet of 5% Carb 20%protein and 75% fat??

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Jillyp83, May 11, 2015.

1. Jillyp83

Jillyp83 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi

Can anyone help with the above really confused and worrying I am eating to much potein and not enough fat.

Thanks a million

J x

2. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You need one of those apps, like Myfitnesspal or cals and carbs or what they are called, there are several. You need to weigh and calculate for yourself in order to see what your actual intake of different macro nutrients is. Until you get the hang of, that is, not forever.

3. Jillyp83

I have myfitnesspal and find it so confusing not very good with tech things.

4. Ian DP

Ian DP LADA · Well-Known Member

I use myfitnesspal.
    A typical day will be
    First thing / pre breakfast; mixture of flaked almonds, sesame seeds, pecan nuts, golden linseeds and pumpkin seeds with around 100ml of double cream. One cup green tea.
    Breakfast; two fried eggs and two rashers bacon fried in coconut oil with mushrooms and a small tomatoe fried in coconut oil
    One cup buletproof coffee (30g coconut oil plus 30g butter plus desert spoon of double cream whisked together).
    Lunch; rump steak with avocado, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoe, green olives and two table spoons of real mayonnaise
    Dinner; 30g grated cheese salad with 2 x tablespoon real mayonnaise
    Mostly water to drink, maybe a black coffe during the day.

Lunch may often be lamb or pork chops or salmon or roast beef maybe leafy veg instead of salad.
    This comes to just over 3,000 calories (I am 6'-2"). This is my requirement to maintain my weight 12.5 stone, BMI is 22.
    Myfitnesspal will predict your weight (either increase or decrease) when you input your food intake.
    It is a bit complicated to input. I try to do it once per month. It takes around half an hour. But worth doing because it tells you your % fat / protein/ carbs and it tells you what vitamins you are lacking etc and predicts your weight, which I have found to be very accurate.

• Like Like x 2
  5. kesun

kesun Other · Well-Known Member

I don't use any apps (discovered LCHF before they were invented!), but at first I ate meticulously to my meter: tested everything and noted the results, fiddled with my diet, re-tested and re-adjusted. Nowadays I seldom test because I know what I can eat.

My diet's similar to IanD's except that his lunch is my dinner and vice versa. Breakfast is either bacon and eggs or omelette with cheese and ham, lunch is salad, very often grated cheddar cheese with leaves and herbs from the garden and oliver oil with a splash of wine vinegar as the dressing or else either real mayonnaise or (occasionally) Hellmans full fat, which doesn't spike my blood. Dinner is meat and leafy veg with a glass of wine.

When I'm working, I take a ziplock bag of salad leaves and grated cheese and a little bottle of olive oil with a bit of vinegar and make lunch from them.

I don't like bullet-proof coffee, but I do drink a lot of coffee with double cream. For snacks during the day I have double cream with nuts and and a square of 80% chocolate broken into it.

Kate

• Like Like x 3
  6. Paul Burton

Paul Burton · Member

Can i ask if you are trying to loose weight? Or maintain your weight at the level you are now?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jillyp83

Hi Paul

I am trying to lose weight

Thanks
    J

8. phil1966

phil1966 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've had a look back through my food diary and found a day that's close to your requirements at 68% fat, 27% protein and 5% carbs and 1261 calories.

Here's what I had

Breakfast
    2 rashers of bacon
    1 fried egg
    70g closed cup mushrooms

Lunch
    Herta jumbo hotdog (surprisingly low in carbs!)
    Low carb tortilla (from amazon)
    3g 50% less sugar ketchup
    160g Sugar free jelly

Dinner
    Home made chilli from following: Mince, tomatoes, chillies, hot chilli powder, double concentrate tomato puree on a bed of slim rice (basically water!)
    Home made low carb clotted cream ice cream

snacks
    Hot peperami
    black coffee
    No added sugar squash

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook