Can hypos also be a sign of diabetes?

Cricri86

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all, (i am trying to get her seen but we have the 2nd from worse gp surgery in the county) I'm concerned about my 7yr old she has been showing signs of diabetes, the increased thirst doesnt care what it is, bouts at toilet. She never usually eats and now is always hungry
I did a week of testing her blood sugar levels (we have a prick test in the house) and it was mostly 3.7-4.2 never high, just these past few weeks shes had quite hefty hypos where shes started shaking gone headachey and really tired. can hypos be a sign? Because im sure its only when blood sugars too high that its a sign of diabetes. Or is it all in my head

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ! I'm Peter and type2 on pills and a healthy diat. I had been living for many years of ill health until I was diagnosed as Type2. I now have a much better life controled by diat.
I blame a lazy doctor for not picking it up sooner. Thirst, low body fat, wet sheets at night was the norm for me and even this wasn't a clue until I saw a new Doctor, so blood test answered the question, then on to the Diabetic nurse who said " it looks like you have been diabetic for the last 10years.
Speak to a Doctor about your concerns as things could get worse but also keep in mind the weather that we are going through.
My Type2 goes barmy in the hot weather but so will normal people trying to regulate their body temp.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Cricri86 and welcome to the forums. I'm sorry your daughter is unwell.

My understanding is that blood sugars are normally high if someone has diabetes but we can't diagnose here and although I know quite a bit about T1 in adults my knowledge on childhood diagnosis is pretty sketchy. (Even though I was diagnosed at 8)

shes had quite hefty hypos where shes started shaking gone headachey and really tired.

Are you able to test her blood sugar when this is happening? Is it just before meals? Though hypos usually occur when diabetic children take too much insulin (obviously not an issue here as she isn't taking insulin) there are other medical reasons for hypos. And even if she isn't hypo when this happens, if she were my daughter, I'd want her to be seen by a doctor.

Sending you some virtual hugs.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Cricri86 Type 1 diabetes is diagnosed with high blood sugars not low.
Have you checked your meter is accurate and the test strips are still in date
The levels you mention are on the low side but not considered hypo unless taking medication such as insulin.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, not going to scare you but if you can't get anything from your surgery, then a call to 111 is needed and follow there advice, if she is having hypos then the best place for your daughter is the A&E.
you might have to take her there.
there are quite a number of different diagnostic conditions in children that have can be low in blood glucose levels, but it is notf that unusual for youngsters to go just under normal levels. But with those symptoms, it is a wise decision to seek.medical advice other than your GP's!

my surgery from today had no GP's at all and is in transition for another licensed holder to take over in September!
there a lot of surgeries in the same situation.

Take care.

Jackson91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best way to find out without a medical test is to test he before eating and the 1h and 2h post meal and if her bag is back around where it was before her meal it's not diabetes.

Hypoglycemia is not exclusive to diabetics there are lots of causes of hypoglycemia. Your child needs a full blood work up to find out what's going on so I say forget the doctors and take her to A&E next time she has 1 of these epesode. Some causes of Hypoglycemia are alot worse than diabetes so do it sooner rather than later.

Reactions: theoldfunker