Can I Claim for Any Benefits

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am a unemployed type 2 diabetic university student on 500g metformin twice a day. today I found that I may become homeless in June as I have to move out of my accommodation by 22nd June and my parents are considering not letting me come back home if I do not supply rent for the Summer.

I am just asking if their are any benefits that I could claim for as my job hunting is like running at a brick wall and falling each time as I am applying for jobs, getting some interviews and then not having the job as I don't have any experience at all and even one discriminated against my weight as i am 22 stone 3 pounds.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the same benefit as anyone else who's unemployed, diabetic or not!

its called JOB SEEKER'S ALLOWANCE

Your diabetes is not the reason why you can't get a job

Reactions: 8 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if your parents will ask for your help when they get older, things like doing some shopping for them or running them to the doctors in the car when they are too old to drive? Whilst many students get some sort of job, even if it is a temporary bit of a bore make do type of job in order that they can rent a bedsit or share of a flat, not all can. It depends on where you live. It is quite usual for such graduates to return home and then claim JSA. It's often the horrific thought of returning home that prompts most students to take any job, even if it is flipping burgers. In a university city though, there is usually bar work.

You are right though, there is a lot of discrimination against fat people even if nothing is said, you can see it in their eyes. But, that is something which you can work on if you are motivated enough. Lots of jobs in sales though don't seem to be bothered. They just want you to sell. Computer support jobs, telesales, customer services all tend not to be too bothered. Remember, you are only wanting something to get you started. It doesn't have to be for life.

Reactions: 2 people

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some parents may not be able to afford to support their grown up child in any way.

and renting a room to a relative means they dont get any housing benefit for that grown up child either. And with the new rules on 'spare room tax' this is proving to be a nightmare for parents who want to help, but cant afford to :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
akindrat18 said:
Hi, I am a unemployed type 2 diabetic university student on 500g metformin twice a day. today I found that I may become homeless in June as I have to move out of my accommodation by 22nd June and my parents are considering not letting me come back home if I do not supply rent for the Summer.

I am just asking if their are any benefits that I could claim for as my job hunting is like running at a brick wall and falling each time as I am applying for jobs, getting some interviews and then not having the job as I don't have any experience at all and even one discriminated against my weight as i am 22 stone 3 pounds.

Hi and welcome :thumbup:

After our Charity Shop had to close down and I was made redundant,it took a long time for me to get a job. I was on Jobseekers with a child to care for ( and the wrong of 50!!). It hit me very hard ,but I kept slogging on trying to find a job. I had a CV, jobseekers put me in touch with a small company that helps 'tweek' CV's, went on a computer course etc and eventually after I put CV's through smal local lcompanies letter boxes, I got a job. I'm sure you will get something, but in the meantime ask at Jobseekers for help withgoing on courses and another good thing is volunteering, it helps many, many charities, it would give you new skills, confidence and it also looks good on your CV :) for a future employer.

Good luck and best wishes RRB

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Alasdair said:
the same benefit as anyone else who's unemployed, diabetic or not!

its called JOB SEEKER'S ALLOWANCE

Your diabetes is not the reason why you can't get a job

I cannot get Jobseeker's allowance as I am at University so I am classed as being in full time education.

Yorksman said:
I wonder if your parents will ask for your help when they get older, things like doing some shopping for them or running them to the doctors in the car when they are too old to drive? Whilst many students get some sort of job, even if it is a temporary bit of a bore make do type of job in order that they can rent a bedsit or share of a flat, not all can. It depends on where you live. It is quite usual for such graduates to return home and then claim JSA. It's often the horrific thought of returning home that prompts most students to take any job, even if it is flipping burgers. In a university city though, there is usually bar work.

You are right though, there is a lot of discrimination against fat people even if nothing is said, you can see it in their eyes. But, that is something which you can work on if you are motivated enough. Lots of jobs in sales though don't seem to be bothered. They just want you to sell. Computer support jobs, telesales, customer services all tend not to be too bothered. Remember, you are only wanting something to get you started. It doesn't have to be for life.

I beg to differ as I have applied for every store and every job including; bar staff, sales assistant, stock assistant, warehouse staff, kitchen staff, cleaners, admin staff, data input work. Not one will hire me as they have already found somebody else with more experience than me as my only experience is being a mystery shopper.

Robinredbreast said:
Hi and welcome :thumbup:

After our Charity Shop had to close down and I was made redundant,it took a long time for me to get a job. I was on Jobseekers with a child to care for ( and the wrong of 50!!). It hit me very hard ,but I kept slogging on trying to find a job. I had a CV, jobseekers put me in touch with a small company that helps 'tweek' CV's, went on a computer course etc and eventually after I put CV's through smal local lcompanies letter boxes, I got a job. I'm sure you will get something, but in the meantime ask at Jobseekers for help withgoing on courses and another good thing is volunteering, it helps many, many charities, it would give you new skills, confidence and it also looks good on your CV :) for a future employer.

Good luck and best wishes RRB

I have been looking for almost three years now for a job paid or volunteer work. I have signed up to 7 recruitment agencies and get daily job posts by email. Also I've updated my CV three times with a careers advisor at University and she is blown away that I don't have a job yet and she says that I am doing everything right.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps it's your attitude? I don't know you so please don't take it the wrong way but lots of people who struggle to find employment argue that they are trying their hardest and applying etc, but are you applying with the right attitude? experience isn't everything if you can show how committed and dedicated you are. What about a cleaning job or catalogue distribution etc., there are jobs out there so keep trying but you have to actually believe that you can get it.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Alasdair said:
Perhaps it's your attitude? I don't know you so please don't take it the wrong way but lots of people who struggle to find employment argue that they are trying their hardest and applying etc, but are you applying with the right attitude? experience isn't everything if you can show how committed and dedicated you are. What about a cleaning job or catalogue distribution etc., there are jobs out there so keep trying but you have to actually believe that you can get it.

I have been showing that I am committed and dedicated when applying for jobs and I even say that I would do a paid job for nothing if that gets me employed. Also I have applied for a lot of cleaning jobs that do not require experience, but they say that I need a driver's license or a CRB check.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are about 500,000 jobs of varying types. There are over 2,000,000 people looking for jobs.

I dont think suggesting this young person is not trying hard enough, and that is why he hasnt got a job, is helpful.

akindrat18:

can you explain to your parents, or get someone else to explain to your parents, that you are willing to work, but you just cant find a job. How did they think you were going to support yourself during the summer? and how do you support yourself term time?

Maybe you could do jobs for them or their friends and neighbours to earn some money?

I have a son your age. Its hard. He has had to postpone Uni because of financial issues.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never said he wasn't trying hard enough and I think it's been misread. There's just a different aura around those people who are successful in getting the postion that I think undoubtedly is a factor in them getting it.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
lucylocket61 said:
There are about 500,000 jobs of varying types. There are over 2,000,000 people looking for jobs.

I dont think suggesting this young person is not trying hard enough, and that is why he hasnt got a job, is helpful.

akindrat18:

can you explain to your parents, or get someone else to explain to your parents, that you are willing to work, but you just cant find a job. How did they think you were going to support yourself during the summer? and how do you support yourself term time?

Maybe you could do jobs for them or their friends and neighbours to earn some money?

I have a son your age. Its hard. He has had to postpone Uni because of financial issues.

I have explained it to my parents and I have even said that I will sign up to a recruitment agency where my Uncle works. They thought that I would qualify for Jobseeker's as I won't be at University in the summer and I support myself through term time by Maintenance Loan and Grant, even then I only get a partial amount as my parents earn over £40,000 a year.

I already do enough house chores by myself like; washing up, hoovering, polishing, cleaning up, mowing both front and back gardens and walking the dog. Most of my friends have said to me that they would have given up by now and are surprised that my constant searching has not been broken, even my grandparents are saying to me that they are proud of me for not giving up job hunting.

colaguzzler

diabetes in itself does not stop anyone from taking a job
but if you are unfortunate enough.
like myself to have developed any of the diabetic complications
then it may.
(i have diabetic neuropathy severly in both legs i need
2 walking sticks just to manage a few steps also i have had 2
eye operations for diabetic retinpathy).
my case may be unusual as i have proteinuria as well .
but not everyone is just a diabetic as this goverment prefers to believe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
akindrat18 said:
lucylocket61 said:

akindrat18:

I have explained it to my parents and I have even said that I will sign up to a recruitment agency where my Uncle works. They thought that I would qualify for Jobseeker's as I won't be at University in the summer and I support myself through term time by Maintenance Loan and Grant, even then I only get a partial amount as my parents earn over £40,000 a year.

I already do enough house chores by myself like; washing up, hoovering, polishing, cleaning up, mowing both front and back gardens and walking the dog. Most of my friends have said to me that they would have given up by now and are surprised that my constant searching has not been broken, even my grandparents are saying to me that they are proud of me for not giving up job hunting.

Keep on slogging away and never give up :) Also perservere with the volunteering it is so rewarding. Somes charities look for volunteers to go into older peoples home,just for a bit of company as these people often don't see anyone and they will do the CRB check. The Samaritans are always needing volunteers and it would be on the telephone and at night,but I couldn't do it because of my DD. Good luck RRB

Geocacher

I left school at 17, in the middle of the last major recession. I was living in a very small town in America -- there were over 100 in my graduating class and only a few places in the town to get any work. To say that finding a job was difficult was an understatement, there wasn't even a single fast food place restaurant to work at flipping burgers. News reports that year told of over 3000 applications being received for just 2 positions at a company in a nearby town.

What I learned from that experience is that I couldn't be picky, I did whatever there was to do however menial. If I was hired, I worked, everyday, without complaining, for minimum wage. I cleaned houses, I sorted scrap metal, I stuffed envelopes. If it was dirty, I washed it off at the end of the day. If it was shift work, I learned to sleep with the drapes closed during the daytime. When I lived at home, I paid rent, bought food, did chores, and contributed towards my share of the water, electric and gas bills. It was a good lesson and I haven't been unemployed for more than a few weeks in the past 25+ years because I learned that you do what needs to be done, not what you want to do.

By the time I was 25 I had my own office and was working alongside, and respected by, people who were more experienced and far better educated. By 30 I had fulfilled a lifelong dream and was living in the UK. I haven't looked back. I was recently made redundant. I was out of work for exactly two weeks. Not only did I find a new job, I found a better job.

You've tweaked your CV three times? That's not enough. Tailor your CV specifically to suit every job you apply for by emphasizing the skills and interests you have that will fit that job, and write a cracking good cover letter that shows you have enthusiasm for the job on offer, knowledge of the company, and genuinely believe that you could be a useful asset and see yourself having a future in the industry. If you appear better prepared on paper then no matter what your weight or situation you'll be a better candidate for the job than anyone else. Attitude is everything and it begins on your CV, application, and cover letter, not in the interview. If you get an interview from almost every application and a job offer from almost every interview, then you're doing it right. And yes, that is possible.

I'm overweight and have been since I was a teenager, T2 diabetic, prematurely grey, plain in appearance, not a UK or EU citizen, and I still don't have a degree in anything. If I can get a job, you can get a job.

Reactions: 6 people

andy08

Hi, I am currently unemployed and on Job seekers allowance, but I was wondering as I have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and his cholesterol, am I on the right benefit, or should I change it, and if so what should I change to?

MonoJono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Although this isnt really a diabetes issue until you develop any of the multitude of secondary problems diabetes will bring you as time goes on.
After reading the replies, can see how mainstream media has warped peoples minds with regards to claiming benefits. People need advice. They do not need to be alienated.

Look on reed.co.uk or totaljobs.co.uk or any employment agency in your area. When i was 19 i had to resort to a short stint in a pizza making factory. It paid more than the full time job i got at natwest bank after

jackyboy

go to your doctor and say you are depressed and suicidal and get on sick for a few month my neighbour has lived in england 4yrs he worked for 16 months made redundant when jobseekers ran out he was told what to say and hes been on sick ever since.

Geocacher

And it's because of advice like that those of us who work and pay taxes are paying for another lying scrounger.

And people wonder why there isn't enough money in the NHS to give meters and test strips to all diabetics?

Think about that, then find some morals, and get a job.

jackboy -- do everyone a favour by calling the benefits fraud number for your local council and turning in your neighbour.