can i ever get drunk again? or do i just buy a six pack of evian ?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, can type 2 still have the odd beer or two when on holiday? Ive just been wondering to myself are there some type 2 out there who still smoke and drink, obviously I know its not good for us, however I'm just wondering how many of us still smoke and drink beer? its probably just my wishful thinking kicking in lol.....life just feels like its over, what am I meant to do when everyone on holiday is having a beer and enjoying themselves, should I just buy a six pack of evian mineral water ? lol......

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion you definitely shouldn't smoke but the odd beer is acceptable.

Diabetes gives you circulation problems which is why the extremities go first. Unfortunately smoking also gives you circulation problems but of a different kind. Red blood cells are quite happy to combine with carbon monoxide instead of oxygen and this is no good for your cells. Severe cases happen when somebody's boiler malfunctions. So smoking and diabetes give you a double whammy which is unfortunate. Notice I didn't even mention lung cancer.

Alcohol and fructose are converted to fat in the liver. This is one of the prime causes of Type 2 diabetes. You should really avoid anything that's going to aggravate that but depending on how far advanced you are you should be capable of the odd drink. It is essential to have periods of not drinking to give the liver a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gill P

Robkww

My "rule" is "when in Rome" but only when we go out and when we have people round. Definitely not every night or every other night!!! This seems OK ..... so far ......

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a drink most nights ( ok, pretty much every night) but I keep it to spirits ( vodka) and water with a lemon or lime or a dry wine. Some beers have more carbs than others. I also smoke. I know neither are the best for me but I gotta live a little. I've given so much up in the name of diabetes and I have to draw the line somewhere. When I have quit smoking my bs goes mad and I feel awful. Not the craving awful, just body awful. I've smoked for so long my body has made the adjustment. Or at least that's the story I'm sticking to haha.

You have to test to see what happens. Spirits always lower me and wine will raise me a bit.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink a little a weekends and I also smoke - I know I shouldn't but I have a very bad relationship with food that I have managed to overcome my life is very stressful for reasons I won't go into and a cigarette now and then stops me from cramming the fridge and food cupboard down my neck in one go - I know it's a crutch but one a probably wouldn't manage without at the moment - please no one lecture me about smoking as yes your right I just don't want to hear it!

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you like red wine? I used (still do) to love beer but couldn't control blood sugars when drinking more than 1 or 2 pints. Swapped beer for red wine 3-4 times a week and it's much easier to manage. As for smoking, STOP! Lol.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink a little a weekends and I also smoke - I know I shouldn't but I have a very bad relationship with food that I have managed to overcome my life is very stressful for reasons I won't go into and a cigarette now and then stops me from cramming the fridge and food cupboard down my neck in one go - I know it's a crutch but one a probably wouldn't manage without at the moment - please no one lecture me about smoking as yes your right I just don't want to hear it!
Right? That's also why I drink. Stress is the silent killer

As for smoking, it's NOT late breaking news that it's not good for our health. I don't need to be told that. I know it.

Some people's diets are just as bad!

Reactions: lovinglife
D

Deleted member 308541

I still have a beer or a whisky when I feel like it, I do not go out of my way to get "drunk" though.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
hi, can type 2 still have the odd beer or two when on holiday? Ive just been wondering to myself are there some type 2 out there who still smoke and drink, obviously I know its not good for us, however I'm just wondering how many of us still smoke and drink beer? its probably just my wishful thinking kicking in lol.....life just feels like its over, what am I meant to do when everyone on holiday is having a beer and enjoying themselves, should I just buy a six pack of evian mineral water ? lol......
Hi. It's not true that the only way to enjoy yourself is to drink alcohol with what you're doing. Many of us enjoy life without that prop. On the other hand, I have seen many people's lives destroyed by alcohol.
Moderation is not the answer to everything, abstinence is much simpler.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I switched to single malts, they have the effect of reducing blood sugars! (in moderation)

Reactions: Sable_Jan

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Red wine for me, used to enjoy a glass of cider in the summer but gave that up, never smoked so will not lecture those that do. X

Skyranger

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, i have been diagnosed with Pre-diabetes, and have not got a clue what to do, i love a drink of red wine, real ale and whisky... love pasta etc etc... basically love life. However i know i have to change, but it seems so bloody difficult..

Nevertheless, i'm up for the challenge, so guys, what can i drink that wont spike me to much

GT

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I seem to be fine with a bottle of nice beer with dinner now and then. I do take a whisky now and then after dinner too. Whisky does not increase my blood sugar at all. I would stress, however, that we all differ. What is worth mentioning maybe..is that the liver deals with alcohol as a priority...which means it sort of delays everything else, including reacting to a carb intake; basically, its too busy to cause glucose release so it takes longer for a spike to come along (and this usually lessens the effect). You might say, and some have, that if the blood sugar is a wee bit high...a wee dram (also gin or vodka - yuuuk -) will reduce it. That said, I would not want to recommend alcohol as a way of controlling blood sugar!!! I have never been much of drinker, so it's not a big deal for me. Smoking? I stopped that about 4 years ago after decades of 30 a day...the same way I stopped eating sugar an high carb foods; I decided to stop. Mainly, I stopped because I realised that fags were basically little nicotine delivery systems sold by huge corporations who sought to keep me addicted to take my money. I bought a new car using the money I was saving to meet monthly payments. My wife did the same. A beer? Yes..maybe two; a whisky?...certainly; a cigarette? I'd rather poke myself in the eye than give these legitimate lethal drug dealers my cash.