Can I take testing kit in hand luggage when flying?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Has anyone got experience of taking a blood glucose kit in hand luggage please?

I was only diagnosed in September and January will be the first time I've flown since. I'm aware they don't allow hypodermics on planes without a prescription but will the small needles in the lancets used for finger pricking cause any problems?

I don't want to risk my kit being confiscated at security but I don't want to take time off work to get a letter from the doctor about it if I don't need to

thanks

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just arrived in USA after flying from Gatwick and I bundled up my blood testing kit with enough strips and lancets and tablets to last the trip ( in case suitcase went missing- it has happened) in a see through plastic bad the same as liquids. The security didn't even blink an eye when I showed them, no problems at all didn't even need to explain further than 'diabetic stuff' . I was worried before.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, Has anyone got experience of taking a blood glucose kit in hand luggage please?
Unless you want to take up wing walking the best place for your supplies is your hand luggage :) If you are using insulin do not under any circumstances put your insulin in the hold it will freeze and render it useless.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that's good to hear @Carolyn_Lesley glad it was no issue for you

@CarbsRok I'm diet controlled thanks so no insulin storage worries luckily. I think all my hard work reducing my health risks by being careful what I eat might be somewhat cancelled out by something as risky as wing walking so I'm gonna fork out for a boring seat inside this time!

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ohhhhh I think I would still be tempted by a wing walk (though not on the jumbo lol) - may have to add it to my bucket list!

Reactions: 2 people