Can I tentatively crack open the champagne yet....

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
A few on here will know of my retinopathy problems in the past five years, following years of uncontrolled diabetes/diabulimia as a young person (diagnosed at 15), and then two pregnancies on top of background retinopathy in my early 30s.

As a result I had two bleeds, one very bad when vessels were growing into the eyeball jelly risking a retinal detachment and one in the other eye late in my second pregnancy two weeks before giving birth.

I had a vitrectomy to one eye which was successful but resulted in some peripheral vision loss. Overall I've had about 10x laser, 5 x in each eye.

I love driving and drive as part of my job, losing my license would mean so much to me, the loss of freedom, employment opportunities would be very limited and we would probably have to move house to be nearer to public transport.
I was convinced that I would lose my license if not now then at some point in the future, when the retinopathy got worse and have absolutely dreaded having to do the field test to get my license renewed.

I desperately wanted a second child and took a big (but calculated) risk in getting pregnant a second time, had I known I would have the bleed at 36 weeks I don't think I would have chanced it, which means I would never have got to have our lovely daughter and sister for my son (they are inseparable, very very close).

So I have worried that my retinopathy will just get worse and worse but today I am celebrating because I still have a full visual field with both eyes open, and passed my binocular DVLA test. I saw my opthalmologist who I've got to know quite well over the years, and he's told me that both retinas are very stable and he doesn't expect I will need any further treatment in my lifetime (so long as my diabetes is well controlled, which it is - last Hba1c was 42).

I will never be complacent with retinopathy or say that 100% it will never come back but I think this is as good as it gets in terms of recovery and getting through it. After 5 years of worrying about this issue and blaming myself for mistakes of the past, I think I can afford to relax a tiny bit now and say 'I made it through' (touching lots of wood of course)

Seeing as there aren't too many carbs in champagne, I think I may be tempted to have a wee glass..

Hoping this gives reassurance to those with diabetic eye problems, you can get through it!

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest Champagne now. And then again regularly for as long as you retain that A1c!

Brilliant news, brilliant achievement.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A glass of red wine would be better @the_anticarb :)

Your right, don't become complacent and always always always attend your retinopathy checks, but I do think you can enjoy that glass of champagne having come out of the other-side of diabetic retinopathy, well done!!!!!!!!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Ah, I thought the carb content of dry champagne was minimal! 1.5 g a glass according to one source. That's been my excuse for it being my tipple of choice in recent years.....

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really well done...losing my licence is one of my biggest fears so can imagine how you're feeling right now...go ahead and enjoy your champagne...sounds like you've earned it :happy:

the_anticarb

Dislikes
One of the things that really helped, for anyone going through this, was finding a consultant that I knew and trusted. This did involve going private but I managed to find a health cash scheme that would cover me for pre existing conditions which means I get 75% of my consultation fees refunded up to four times per year(it's ESMI everyday plan if anyone is interested).

I had such a bad experience with the NHS not in my opinion taking my condition seriously enough that I became almost phobic of my local eye hospital and by the time my second eye was getting bad, no longer trusted them to treat me. So I found a very very good, highly experienced consultant and would only let him see me or laser me. He knew how important it was to keep my visual field intact and took great care not to laser in this area... it must have worked becuase last time I saw him he said he'd put just the right amount of laser on to stop the progession of the disease without affecting my visual field. This is well worth the money I paid for the treatment, which was in the hundreds rather than thousands(about £400 each time for laser IIRC) . Plus you can't put a price on reassurance.

I continue to see my consultant twice a year now, he's said he only needs to see me annually but for peace of mind I think I will see him twice a year for a bit longer.

It is a shame that I had to resort to private rather than NHS, but I do think the NHS is under resourced in this area and will rather save a few bob now than prevent people getting permanently disabled and being unable to work. So you have to look after yourself.

Good luck to everyone out there with this condition.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I am SO pleased for you @the_anticarb, I wasn't a member of the forum five years ago so didn't know your story then but, honestly? I couldn't be more pleased for you than if you were my closest buddy. Fabulous news and well done for taking charge of your condition.