Can my dog senses when my sugars are low or high??

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just wondering is there any one who has a dog who can sense hypers and hypos ? My sugar levels are really high tonight 17.5 which they not been that high since I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago and my dog has kept coming to me tonight like he's checking up on me and normally he's fast asleep in his box all night do you reckon he is sensing that something is wrong ???

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
awwwww ..... how lovely. I cannot answer your question though, but would like to think your dog does feel something

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Animals have extraordinary senses that can detect when something's wrong. I'd say he knew you were high because of a slight change of behaviour or a slightly different smell (not that I'm saying you smell) but you know what I mean.

You seem to have a special dog that's really tuned into you.

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He's done it before when my sugar level went low, I wonder if you could train your dogs up ?

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do I love my dog to bits, and maybe I was really sleep and perhaps he noticed that I wasn't playing with him and paying him attention like I normally do and I had to giggle at the smell haha X

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He's done it before when my sugar level went low, I wonder if you could train your dogs up ?
Yes you could. Some people have done this, but it may depend on the dog's attitudes and abilities, though you seem to have a winner anyway! There have been some threads about this, one of them quite recently and I gave a link in that to an earlier discussion that had some useful links and a video about training a dog, so have a search through the forum. Also have a rummage through Google for information on formally trained diabetic alert dogs.

Robbity

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think dogs do sense or smell when we are low. An example being this morning one of my dogs woke me by coming up on the bed sitting on me, which isn't like him, I woke, felt OK, but when I checked by bs it was 1.9 (am hypo unaware) so I definitely think he had sensed I wasn't right, bless him
Oh should point out he is not trained just my pet

hayleyowen90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dog stays down stairs at night, but I've always been fine at night anyway, it's not very often I have hypos and defo not hypers so it was very strange how he noticed something wrong x