1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can pregnancy hormones cause high blood sugar levels?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by DiabeticPanda, Mar 7, 2017.

1. DiabeticPanda

DiabeticPanda Type 1 · Active Member

I know it sounds a silly question but for the passed two weeks I've been feeling constantly exhausted, fighting high BGL almost daily and then today I've been feeling a little nauseous (but then I did take Kalms Night last night which can cause nausea apparently). I'm due on my period this week so I don't have any massive cause for concern ... and I'm on the pill but I can't help wondering if there's more to it?

I thought coming on here would be better than googling ;) any advice would be appreciated!

2. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, it's possible that early pregnancy or implantation can cause highs. But do you know what is a much better way to find out if you could be pregnant than googling or asking forums? Peeing on a stick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DiabeticPanda

DiabeticPanda Type 1 · Active Member

I already did ... it was negative so I'm trying to be a bit more objective about how I'm feeling and other possible causes. I guess it's just a case of waiting to see what happens. I just wondered if anyone had experienced high bloods in early pregnancy.

4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

If I remember rightly, I did. Breathlessness with tiredness. Unbeknown at the time, pregnant and raised bgs. Metformin wasn't enough. Once confirmed after a negative pregnancy test I was introduced to insulin.
    2nd pregnancy was very similiar.
    Good luck!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. natalie22

natalie22 Type 1 · Member

Take another test over a week if your period is late. You could be just taking it too early. I took a test before newyear thinking I will double check before I drink and it came back negative and then still my period didn't come so I checked when I was 10 day late and I was pregnant!!
    Xx

• Like Like x 1
  6. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Yes, pregnancy can cause high sugars early on. I think my higher sugars started at around 5weeks, but I had other signs of pregnancy before I tested. I never bother testing until my period is due, as I don't find the early tests accurate. So my advice is to,assume you might be (ie avoid alcohol, etc) and test again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook