Can shock cause drop in blood sugar, blood pressure or both?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
An eventful lunchtime at home today.

Whilst cutting open a crusty recently-baked baguette, I forgot to stop cutting before the bread knife sliced my finger :( . Ran bleeding digit under cold water, grabbed a wad of paper towel and got first aid box. Applied steristips and a plaster which wasn't quick due to copious bleeding. Stood trying to cram contents back into first aid box when I was suddenly swamped by waves of nausea, heat and jellyness of legs.

My memory of what happened next is hazy. As was my vision - I had the kind of heat haze effect I sometimes get when hypo. Sat on a nearby stool. Wondered if blood sugar was low (was 4.7 just before all this), or low blood pressure. Thought in case of low bs I should stand up, reach for the baguette, sit down and eat it. It was the nearest source of carbs. Next I became aware of something rough against the side of my face, which I’m pretty sure was friction from the mat on the floor when I hit it. At some point the mild heat haze changed to grey and really fuzzy vision, can't remember if that was before hitting the floor or as I got up. Don’t know if I passed out and fell off the stool, or maybe stood up and then collapsed. Don’t know if I lost consciousness for a moment (I think so) or if things just got so grey and fuzzy that I didn’t see the floor coming up to hit me.

Somehow found the stool again and sat on it. Thinks... BP monitor is in another room...to test sugar I’d have to cross the room,wash hands then do test. I was home alone. Various family members have had accidental head trauma resulting in a) temporary blindness, b) coma and hours of neurosurgery, and c) being found deceased. Didn’t actually think about those events, but instinctively knew trying to stand up and walk around could be dangerous. So I sat on the stool a few minutes until it felt safe to transfer to a comfy chair, picking up lucozade on the way, to sit with my feet up and drink a little lucozade and I'd be near the phone. Sat with my feet up for 15 minutes, then felt able to have my interrupted lunch. Felt washed out and decided testing bs or bp wouldn’t tell me much at that stage, still not really focussed, in retrospect wish I'd tested both bs and bp at that point.

I’m curious about how the collapse happened. I know stress can raise bs quickly but could it also make it drop suddenly? At the start felt as though I was about to do something nerve-racking but when sitting on the stool I had that unfocussed feeling of being hypo or slightly drunk. Sugar was 7 before dinner, up a bit but suggestive of extra lucozade rather than big liver dump.

Glad I hadn’t injected lunch bolus!

Sue

Edited to say it had been a good day up to that point.... what a wooss :oops:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sue,
I extracted this from a German research paper dated 1986 (fortunately there was an English translation!).

"In traumatic shock, the rise in blood sugar indicates the degree of severity of the injury earlier than the fall in blood pressure does. The rise in blood sugar is attributable to a reflex increase in glycogenolysis due to catecholamine secretion elicited via baroreceptors in hemorrhagic shock. For the pronounced rise in blood sugar in traumatic shock, an additional receptor is postulated. Supplementary investigation of the blood sugar may possibly enable the extent of the injury to be diagnosed earlier in traumatic shock, and the negative sequelae may be reduced by timely, adequate therapy."

I don't pretend to understand all the terminology used, but the bottom line is that shock causes a rise in blood sugar but a drop in blood pressure.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Dennis and Sue.

Interesting reading. Also looked it up on medicinenet which says much the same as Sue's link. So I had situational vasovagal syncope, aka fainted at the sight of my own blood :oops: .

Fine today apart from cut finger and a sore, bruised cheek.

On reflection I'm sure I did lose consciousness briefly. Wonder if when I felt the rough mat on my face, that was when I was coming round and moved my head, rather than on impact.

Someone gave me good advice today - if you feel it coming on sit or lie on the floor - no further to fall and less chance of injury if you do black out! And don't stand for 5 mins fiddling with the first aid box etc before doing so. I'll try to remember that.