can someone advise

justmai

What happens at the rapid assessment unit

and what insulin regime is the best to start off with for a type 2 diabetic uncontrolled,
I've heard the basal/bolus is the best but unsure

any advice appreciated please,

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The Rapid Assessment Units are special units set up to do just that and give a fast response to your GP. They are individual to each Hospital so it is not easy to say exactly what will happen. Here is some brief information as to the functions from just one Hospital.

Rapid Assessment Service
GPs can refer patients for rapid assessment between the hours of 8am-6pm by contacting the on-call Medical Registrar on *********** 842 or bleeping via switchboard on *********000. The patient will receive fast-track diagnostic tests and be reviewed by a senior clinician. The GP will be informed within 24 hours of the treatment received / recommended for the patient.

As for your Insulin question, I am not a T1 so as soon as one of our T1 'experts' is around you will get your answer.

Ken.

Edited. Half asleep when I did this !!!
The above should read I am not on Insulin so wait for an Insulin user to turn up. :?

Sweet3x

cugila said:
As for your Insulin question, I am not a T1 so as soon as one of our T1 'experts' is around you will get your answer.

Ken.

Um why? S/He's T2 - surely a T2 expert on insulin use would be more useful? Not a problem, either way. Was just curious at your response :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sorry.

It was early in the morning for me !! I should have looked more closely and got my fingers to type correctly. still we can all make mistakes. Thanks for the heads up. :D

Ken.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's no 'right' answer. It depends a lot on your lifestyle and motivation. Basal bolus or MDI is the most flexible, but means more injections. If you have a very predictable life and happy to eat same meals and snacks at set times and prefer to avoid mulitple injections, then premix/biphasic may work well for you. Also it helps if you rarely need to change your dose! Whereas if you have a more variable lifestyle, you may prefer a more flexible but higher-maintenance MDI approach.

With premixed insulins the proportion of short- to long-acting insulin is fixed, so its less easy to fine-tune your dose unless you also have some separate fast-acting available. Some people need frequent dose changes, others less so.