Can someone workout this insumin to carb ratio plz

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Just getting used to this MDI stuff anyway.

If I have the following:

45g carbs
and
11u of insulin

What is the insulin to carb ratio of that? I got about 2:4ish does that seem right?

Jodie1154

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The way I count carbs is if I eat 45g I divide the ratio and it will you the amount of insulin to take

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The way I count carbs is if I eat 45g I divide the ratio and it will you the amount of insulin to take

that would mean taking about 4.5 units and I know with that little insulin I'd be spiking to the moon and never coming down.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i do 1 unit of insulin to 10 grams of carb but i am waiting to go on carb counting course .that usually works for me although sometimes have to increase to 1.5 units insulin to 10g carbs

Reactions: Craigh82

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In your example of 45g carbs, an Insulin:Carb ratio (I:C) of 1:4 would be 11u(and a quarter!), or use 2:9 for 10u (Carbs/9)x2=u

Jodie1154

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People are on different carb to insulin ratios the dafne course will tell you everything you need to know

D

Deleted Account

I am confused by your question:
Why would you take 11units of insulin for 45g carbs?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am confused by your question:
Why would you take 11units of insulin for 45g carbs?

Because if I followed the 1u per 10 grams of carbs example that would mean take 4.5 units of insulin and that would send my levels flying high, so I'm just faffing about until I get some consistency. Working out the ratio is a bit tricky for me tbh,

D

Deleted Account

Because if I followed the 1u per 10 grams of carbs example that would mean take 4.5 units of insulin and that would send my levels flying high, so I'm just faffing about until I get some consistency. Working out the ratio is a bit tricky for me tbh,
Ok, I think I understand and you were correct with your calculation: this is a carb ratio of 1:2.4 (1 unit of insulin for every 2.4g of carbs).
If this is the correct ratio for you, you may want to think of it as 4 units for every 10g carbs. This may be easier to calculate on the fly although it is a little lower (it is 1 unit of insulin for every 2.5g carbs).

Bear in mind, it is not uncommon to have different carb ratios at different times of the day.

Reactions: Nidge247

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, I think I understand and you were correct with your calculation: this is a carb ratio of 1:2.4 (1 unit of insulin for every 2.4g of carbs).

Surely its actually what slip said (which was 1:4):
In your example of 45g carbs, an Insulin:Carb ratio (I:C) of 1:4 would be 11u(and a quarter!)
as the original question was 'what's the ratio of 45 carbs to 11units insulin' :) Unless I've misread/misunderstood something somewhere (which is quite possible).

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The evening dose seems very different usually around, for about 30g or carbs I'd take around 4u of insulin.

carbs/10x1.3

Much more then that and I'll be low all night.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Rokaab I don't think you've misunderstood.

@helensaramay if you use your 1:2.4u ratio for 45g of carbs you'd and the OP would end up bolusing 18u

unless both rokaab and I are missing the point........................:angelic:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The evening dose seems very different usually around, for about 30g or carbs I'd take around 4u of insulin.

So a ration of 1:7 (for 30g = 4.28u) or 2:15 (aka 1:7.5) (for 30g would be exactly 4u) - depends on how your brain works as to which ratio you would find easier to use and work out. for example if say you had 40g of carbs for evening meal would it be easier for you to do 40/7 or 40/15*2 or 40/7.5

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
F@@k me this is complicated unless your a mathematician.
Things were so much easier on the old system.

All replies are greatly appreciated by the way.

Ok so this is the 2 formulas that I've been working with recently

Breakfast
carbs/10x2.4 = insulin needed

Dinner
carbs/10x1.3 = insulin needed

Then I just end up rounding up to the nearest unit.

Lunch is the grey area atm but i think it's around carbs/10x1.5 to 1.8ish

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its good you are experimenting with dose adjustment but it needs to be more structured and methodical.....

so if you start off on a ratio that you know doesn't work, increase it by consistent amount, test, repeat if necessary....

back in the DAFNE days we all start on 1u:10g....if it didn't work, up it to 1.5u:10g, so on and so forth....

it doesn't need to be in 0.5u increments but on injections it is much easier that way.....if pumping, you can get much more accurate..

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could always have a crib sheet(either paper or on your phone) that lists dosages for certain amounts of carbs? EG:

Carbs B/fast lunch evening
1:4 1:6 1:7
20 5 3 3
30 7 5 4
70 17 12 10
80 20 13 11

Of course the other thing is, depending on your meter, it's possible that you could set the ratios and for it to work out the dose if you also supply the carbs.

Edit: that didn't line up well did it!?!?!?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IC crib.jpg

thats better!

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@slip you are a genius mate.

thanks great idea. I'm a libre user so there is no ratio setting option on that or is there?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is in deed! I'll PM you shortly