Can Type 1 diabetes impact your sperm count?

alex200274

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trying for a child now for a few years. My wife and I have recently gone onto the NHS for assisted conception and after several tests including my 48hr sperm survival test - it was concluded that I had a low sperm count with poor motility and morphology. To add to this my wife also has some problems so we have been advised to go for ICSI.

I asked the consultant if my type 1 diabetes could be a problem for the poor sperm count, motility etc but he sort of shrugged his shoulders and said maybe, maybe not - (however I have always had an excellent sugar control). 

I’m now getting mixed opinions. My GP, and diabetic nurse say no your diabetes does not affect your sperm count/health, but when I google stuff on line there are studies to suggest different. I have never come across any published information during health check-ups or in my diabetic balance magazine, but one would assume that could be a possibility – are there any official studies into with type1 diabetic men and their sperm count?   

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It makes no difference whether you are Type 1 or whatever.......

Diabetes is usually associated with ED, Erectile Dysfunction more so than sperm Count and Motility. However a quick search revealed this research article which may be of help........

http://www.suite101.com/content/diabete ... rm-a330136

Researchers at Queens University, Belfast, have found that sperm from diabetic men shows more DNA damage than the sperm from men without diabetes.

It was the first time medical researchers had compared the sperm of healthy men with those who had diabetes and their findings suggest that men with diabetes may experience problems with their fertility.

Of 27 diabetic men who had their sperm samples examined, semen volume was significantly less than in samples from healthy men. Although the sperm looked normal, when it was measured for DNA damage it was found to have greater levels of fragmentation and more deletions in DNA - in the mitochondria, or energy generating structures in the cells.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi Alex
if you and your partner are focusing on conception too much it may be that either of you are trying to hard . If its possible to have some theraputic help .As stress or anxiety combined with medication is a low count .You both will get there and i reckon it will surprise you when it does :D :D
good luck both :D
JF

viv1969

I have to disagree with JF. I am all too familiar with the heartbreak that comes along with experiencing problems with fertility / conceiving, and if you are being offered help, then take it take it take it; and good luck with expanding your family!