1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can type one diabetics join the UK police force ?

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Ryann1990, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Ryann1990

Ryann1990 Type 1 · Active Member

I have seen on there website that it says most likely not suitable for the role of police officer but needs to be assessed individually. Just confused as to why this discrimination still exists today really, because that is what it is discrimination.

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting into the police with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Is there any time a type1 or any appointee vunerable? If so then that individual puts themselves and others at danger when dealing with danger on the streets.
    In riots etc. police can be deployed from other regions.

3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

About 21,900,000 results (0.54 seconds)

Good luck, I hope you find a position in the Police Force.
    Featured snippet from the web

upload_2019-3-21_7-48-41.jpeg
    What if you have Type 1 diabetes with a pump or CGM, canyou work in law enforcement? Yes, you should be able to if you self-manage your diabetes. You should check with individual departments where you wish to be employed to make sure they hire people with Type 1 diabetes.26 Oct 2018
    Can You Join The Police Force If You Have Diabetes ...

https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/can-you-join-the-police-force-if-you-have-diabetes/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there @Ryann1990 (and thanks @Prem51). I am off to do a late shift this very day followed by 4 long nightshifts, there are times when I wish the Police didn't take type 1s! Seriously, YES you can be considered for the Police but you will be subject to a health and physical assessment (as do all applicants). There will be a more in depth assessment when it comes to management of your diabetes and that includes data requested from your Drs or Consultant. If all of that is ok then the actual job itself IS possible. It's a darn sight more tricky because of the nature of the job but like anything else, good management and aforethought etc, minimises any risk there might be. I can safely say I do not put others or myself in any more danger than any other Officer because I check, check, check and do everything I can. Of course there is always a risk of a sudden hypo but if that happens then so be it, the majority of the time ANY diabetic can do whatever anyone else can do in this job. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DiabeticCop

DiabeticCop Type 1 · Member

I joined with T1 and it wasn’t n issue at all. My force seem to be quite relaxed about it.
    I still managed to get authorised for response driving, taser and I get deployed around the country for public order jobs.

Give it a go

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. BikerJohn

BikerJohn Type 1 · Newbie

I’m now retired from the police after 30 years and one month, I got T1 diabetes 2 months after joining back in 1988 and was T1 for the rest of my service, the only job I wasn’t allowed to do was firearms, I was a response and pursuit driver for almost ten years, a new force medical officer in the 90’s stopped diabetics from driving in these roles however this has now been reversed and individuals who are well controlled are allowed to do it.
    I was allowed to do PSU (riot response) roles as both a Constable and a Sergeant the diabetes didn’t hold me back or cause any problems.
    The only thing I would recommend is get your diabetes under control before you apply.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook