Can type one diabetics join the UK police force ?

Ryann1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have seen on there website that it says most likely not suitable for the role of police officer but needs to be assessed individually. Just confused as to why this discrimination still exists today really, because that is what it is discrimination.

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting into the police with it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is there any time a type1 or any appointee vunerable? If so then that individual puts themselves and others at danger when dealing with danger on the streets.
In riots etc. police can be deployed from other regions.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
About 21,900,000 results (0.54 seconds)

Good luck, I hope you find a position in the Police Force.
Featured snippet from the web

upload_2019-3-21_7-48-41.jpeg
What if you have Type 1 diabetes with a pump or CGM, canyou work in law enforcement? Yes, you should be able to if you self-manage your diabetes. You should check with individual departments where you wish to be employed to make sure they hire people with Type 1 diabetes.26 Oct 2018
Can You Join The Police Force If You Have Diabetes ...

https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/can-you-join-the-police-force-if-you-have-diabetes/

Reactions: Juicyj

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there @Ryann1990 (and thanks @Prem51). I am off to do a late shift this very day followed by 4 long nightshifts, there are times when I wish the Police didn't take type 1s! Seriously, YES you can be considered for the Police but you will be subject to a health and physical assessment (as do all applicants). There will be a more in depth assessment when it comes to management of your diabetes and that includes data requested from your Drs or Consultant. If all of that is ok then the actual job itself IS possible. It's a darn sight more tricky because of the nature of the job but like anything else, good management and aforethought etc, minimises any risk there might be. I can safely say I do not put others or myself in any more danger than any other Officer because I check, check, check and do everything I can. Of course there is always a risk of a sudden hypo but if that happens then so be it, the majority of the time ANY diabetic can do whatever anyone else can do in this job. Hope this helps.

BikerJohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m now retired from the police after 30 years and one month, I got T1 diabetes 2 months after joining back in 1988 and was T1 for the rest of my service, the only job I wasn’t allowed to do was firearms, I was a response and pursuit driver for almost ten years, a new force medical officer in the 90’s stopped diabetics from driving in these roles however this has now been reversed and individuals who are well controlled are allowed to do it.
I was allowed to do PSU (riot response) roles as both a Constable and a Sergeant the diabetes didn’t hold me back or cause any problems.
The only thing I would recommend is get your diabetes under control before you apply.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
There was a rule that you couldn't drive blue light vehicles if insulin treated.. not sure if this is still the case but may be a reason for each individual needs to be assessed??

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’m now retired from the police after 30 years and one month, I got T1 diabetes 2 months after joining back in 1988 and was T1 for the rest of my service, the only job I wasn’t allowed to do was firearms, I was a response and pursuit driver for almost ten years, a new force medical officer in the 90’s stopped diabetics from driving in these roles however this has now been reversed and individuals who are well controlled are allowed to do it.
I was allowed to do PSU (riot response) roles as both a Constable and a Sergeant the diabetes didn’t hold me back or cause any problems.
The only thing I would recommend is get your diabetes under control before you apply.
I find the firearms bit odd.. as a FAC holder with a section 5 license that can go out all night I will probably use my firearm more than most firearm officers.. unless its stress they are more concerned about?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
We have blue light drivers (ambulance and police) using insulin as forum members.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There was a rule that you couldn't drive blue light vehicles if insulin treated.. not sure if this is still the case but may be a reason for each individual needs to be assessed??
It’s assessed on a case by case basis.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi All
I know this isn’t related to the police , but I have had experience of not getting a job due to my diabetes.
Firstly when I was diagnosed I was told the only thing I couldn’t do was be a pilot or drive a HGV.
I worked for about 36 years in the oil industry, I decided at one point I fancied the oil rigs so I applied for a transfer and went to the survival course in Aberdeen the first thing that was done was a form was filled first question was do you suffer from any of the following diabetes being one , I said yes the guy said follow the yellow line on the floor which via the doctor led to the exit.i asked why the medicallly educated man said in case you have a “ funny turn” I said u mean hypoglycaemic attack , needless to say I disagreed , move on 20 odd years you can now work off shore with type 1 diabetes , thee are obstacles but time has proven that these can be overcome. As stated here a lot of it is a case by case basis as it should be rather than being “ “sheep dipped”

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Many emergency workers (Including the Police) work with having diabetes in the UK. I am a retired Police Officer. It is down to Occupational Health and Hypo Awareness on an individual basis. I once worked with a detective in a wheelchair who had no legs, so they definately do not discriminate.

I guess that other Countries may have differing criteria through.

RobMcC

I was diagnosed with type 1 in July 1991 whilst still at Police training school. I had to be examined by the Force Medical Examiner and discussed my flexpen regime with him etc. He loved the regime and its independence and signed me fit for service. Over the next 30 years i did everything i wanted to in the police and thrived. Eventually retired as a Superintendent. And now enjoying retirement.

The police is an excellent career choice for diabetics. But you will need to stay on top of your game in terms of managing it.

Reactions: Lobsang Tsultim