1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can we have something good to say about our NHS?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Kim Possible, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

If the GP doesn't explain this, he isn't doing his job.

2. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Maybe. But often they see the same consultant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dbr10

Does anyone get any financial incentive to stop the referal?

4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I am hugely in debt to the nhs even though ive put plenty of tax and ni in the pot.
    The staff I've had to rely on have been superb.
    They have saved my life a few times in my childhood. They even aided towards the medications for 1 ivf program whilst I paid for the cycle and admin. Which was unsuccessful without metformin.
    Lately my heart scare was treated slowly but in the end to my thorough specification. I cannot complain at all.
    My upcoming op I'm sure will be a success otherwise they wouldnt spend the £9,000+.
    Thank god for the nhs otherwise I dont know where I'd be.
    Probables roaming the streets homeless and rambling rubbish to strangers. Ooh!

• Like Like x 1
  5. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

And... it appears more so now that the NHS is more for emergency urgent care than enabling persons to live with degenerating bones or even T1's being referred to hospital care.

Its good but it is changing.

With talks about brexit and Trump some things are getting announced in a less informative way by media.

6. dbr10

Brexit has necessarily become a two year distraction, while we try to negotiate a trade deal with the EU which is not as good as the one we already have. Some news stories do seem to fall between the cracks and don't get the attention they should. I suppose that is inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have no complaints about the NHS at all.

My Scottish born aunt who has lived in America for the last 55 years (she jumped on a plane to San Francisco aged 21 in the early 60s because, "those movies from Hollywood were just so colourful!) is here visiting us back in the old country.

She's told me about her T1 friend there who pays $400 per month to buy insulin. And how people go bankrupt or remortgage their house if they need an emergency op.

That doesn't happen here. NHS isn't perfect, people can complain as much as they like about the eatwell plate, but all I know is that I'm being given free insulin as my needs require, my old man got a stent when he needed it, and I got my knee ligaments sorted out when I was almost run over by a truck on a ski-slope.

None of those things have cost me anything (sure, there's the taxes - I can live with that, it spreads costs instead of me personally getting hit with the full bill).

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I have certainly had more than my moneys worth out of the NHS. 12 months of cancer treatment including a highly expensive biological drug (that NICE originally refused due solely to cost but had to do a U-turn on because of its proven effectiveness) pus 5 more years of follow up reviews, 2 other major surgical procedures one of which saved my life at the age of 26, broken bones, torn tendons, neutropenia sepsis whilst on chemo, the birth of my daughter, and other things.

We should all be thanking our lucky stars that we have it, not bemoaning it. There is a reason it comes top of the other countries in surveys. It is the best health service in the world.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. purplepenguin

purplepenguin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The NHS is a wonderful thing and the people in it are dedicated and doing a great job in bad circumstances. The front line staff are, on the whole, fabulous. I have had two supportive Diabetes Nurses and I have always been able to get a doctor's appointment on the day I call. Unfortunately, like all the state run services (fire, police, education etc) there is a diminishing amount of money and the government want people to do much more with less funding. I do not blame the doctors or nurses at all.

There is incredible waste in the NHS though. I am more than capable of paying for my prescriptions but because I'm diabetic I don't have to. I feel guilty every time I collect more meds. I think there should be a voluntary option to pay if you can, I certainly would pay. Also, I had an eye check at the opticians with a retinopathy machine but still had to go to the Diabetic clinic for one too. I may be wrong but the machines are the same are they not? If so, what a waste of money having it done twice.

Food in hospital is disgusting and inappropriate for most diabetics but, again, the cooks are doing what they can within the budget they have.
    All I know is, if I am taken ill or in an accident the only thing I have to worry about is getting better and not whether I will be able to afford the treatment or make a decision about whether I feed my children or pay for my much needed operation. I have a friend in the US who had to crowd fund to pay their hospital bill after a motorbike accident that was not his fault. For this reason alone I will fight for the NHS forever. It may have its flaws but I'd rather have it as it is than not have it at all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What do you think they should be doing then Many here agree that the.. eat well plate.. is not suitable for a lot of us but low carb is not suitable for everyone either because we are all so different so what do they do suddenly change their minds and tell all diabetic patients to eat LCHF if they did that then you would get the diabetics who it does not suit saying why are the NHS telling us to do that. At the end of the day the only right diet is the one that suits us personally

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Glenmac

Glenmac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do believe that if those of us in th UK,who, as families have had,through no fault of our own,accidents or serious illness,were to add together the cost of it all,we would be quite shocked.My daughter and son in law work in Geneva.When my grandson had a very badly broken arm, halfway down a mountain,a GP friend who was with them called an ambulance.They were taken to the nearest trauma hospital,apparently the best for such an injury.But their insurance had to be checked before they were admitted,they didn't accept some insurers.Later they had the bill,some of which had to be paid immediately then claimed back through the insurer.Each item was stated,the ambulance was 700 Swiss francs,for starters.Then X-rays,nurses,doctors,a surgeon and two operations,a four night stay in hospital......Later a friend told them of an incident where a distressed child the same age and injury was refused treatment at one hospital and had to be taken across the city to another which would accept their insurance....... Yes the treatment was excellent at my grandsons hospital,but no better than in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dbr10

That's as it should be. A well funded NHS from general taxation. And it's also why we should resist ANY moves towards the US system. It won't be obvious. It will be an incremental chipping away at what we have.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dbr10

Yes we should all be grateful for it; and campaigning to maintain it.

14. dbr10

Yes that's quite right. What they should be doing is supporting us in our treatment decisions. My doctor cannot see why low carb might be best for me, but thinks my results are brilliant. What sense does that make? It's the group think others have complained of.

• Like Like x 1
  15. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

My step sis child just had brain tumour removed in US and was asking money to be sent for the op!! So we know about insurance that otger countries have to pay.

However we pay all our lives with tax and national insurance.. perhaps they should actually separate our taxes on pay slips etc to show NHS tax and put it up a penny? Perhaps it would be better received if it actually showed separately for nhs. After all the councils have to show their funding for police etc itemised on council bills?

• Like Like x 1
  16. dbr10

Yes, we contribute all our working lives; and, as you are coming up to retirement, the State Pension age gets put back; or you need the NHS, and you can't be certain that it will be able to give you the treatment you need when you need it. An itemised amount for the NHS would make it clear what the costs were. After all, there was never a National Insurance fund - NI contributions just go into general taxation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Glenmac

Glenmac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with you,if the tax for the NHS were itemised it would be much clearer and as donnellysdogs says. tax could be added as necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  18. labrat53

labrat53 Type 2 · Newbie

19. labrat53

labrat53 Type 2 · Newbie

20. Ymdawd

Ymdawd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Would like to think it will but in its present format i wonder.?

The NHS cannot treat anything and everything and yet that is what it is trying to do.

In pharmacy the wasted medication returned to pharmacies is enormous and very costly. I see it on a daily basis. Have seen many boxes of insulin at £40-£50 a box returned "unwanted". It breaks my heart to see wastage like this. When someone dies it is not unusual to see relatives bring in black binbags full of unwanted medicines.

The inefficiences in my own surgery beggars belief. Are they there for the patients or is it the other way round.?

Simply put the NHS cannot go on in its present format/state. What will it change into is the question.? Throwing more money into a bottomless pit is not the anwser.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook