1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can we have something good to say about our NHS?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by helensaramay, Aug 31, 2017.

1. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I think it will end up with hospitals doing more emergency care only and babies.

Somewhere at GP level now with the peer review panels being rolled out we will not be getting referrals for non emergency care.

The waste is huge for prescriptions, I agree. I have recently seen two black bin liners returned to a chemist. Patients dont tell doctors when they stop taking statins etc or painkillers, items can be hoarded for "I may need them one day"......

I've asked my GP to remove items from my prescription and they wont incase I need them. Havent ticked box to have items for 6 months now and know I am doing everything naturally and for myself to not need the items. Nope, they remain on list.

No easy answers for NHS. In the background though things are happening that patients will not be aware of.

At least they are now controlling over counter drugs more and not prescribing hay fever / paracetomals etc so much. Only in severe cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Here, with the SSN there is a form of co-pay for some people or medicines. You have to pay a small amount per prescription (with exception for poor people or chronic conditions) and if you want the brand name instead of the generic one. There are also some prescription you pay fully but you need an official prescription and opioids that are a different story
    If they are spaced by few months this could be useful to get differential data, not being x-ray irradiation. Also I don't know what actually costs make a single exam with the machine.

Same here, but normally is because externalization meant giving the service to a private catering with the lowest bid and/or a lot of friends of friends.
    The result is bad food and Carabinieri raids in the kitchen finding spoiled foods, maggots and worms...

3. evj95

evj95 Type 1 · Active Member

I can't thank the Nurses and Doctor's enough at my diagnosis. I was admitted with a blood sugar of 28 and in DKA, throughout my stay in Resus and the AEU ward I was always informed of what was happening, when I had my bg tested they let me know whether it was higher than the previous hour or not, So I could start to associate what I was feeling to where my bg was so I knew more when I was at home. I even had one nurse starting to show me how to do my insulin before I could see the DSN and inform me on what food could possibly give me a high bg reading.

Unfortuantely, that fell by the wayside when I was moved up to the diabetic ward and I felt as though I wasn't getting that support, and wasn't informed of my readings so I never really knew where it was at. Was often told "Oh, Let me go get someone else, I'm not allowed to do this." Then was left there for half an hour to 45 minutes with an infuser beeping like mad because the bag had finished. And being partially deaf aswell I was pretty much having a constant headache!

But then I met my DSN who spent nearly an hour to two hours talking me through the basics, of what I needed to do to cope at home over the bank holiday weekend as she could tell I was sick of the hospital already after only two days. She set me up with an appointment straight away with her for after the weekend and then spent nearly an another hour answering questions that I had as well as ones my mother had, and how my treatment plan is going, what wants altering slightly and taking a massive interest in the difference I have felt since in myself.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ymdawd

Ymdawd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My original point was that the NHS cannot go on just throwing millions at its problems. That is just throwing good money after bad. There simply has to be fundamental change to the way it operates.

For a start there should be a small charge payable by everyone regardless of who they are or what they have for prescription supplies. Perhaps then we would not see so much wastage going on that I see on a daily basis

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. donnellysdogs

Have a separate place for dealing with abusers of alchohol and charge them for their care??

6. Ymdawd

Cannot agree with that though. What I would do is if alcoholics/drunks or anyone else for that matter assault nhs staff they should be declined NHS treatment. Let them go private.

• Like Like x 1
  7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Ymdawd . Be careful what you suggest. Have you ever had a simple urine infection?
    My wife, a nurse, has had to deal with a lot of people suffering with a UI. Her exact words, " they go crazy" abuse, fighting, confusion. The next day with meds, as nicer a person you'd never meet.
    What about the insulin dependent in a hypoglycaemia state? Abusive, confused, confrontational to most observers either a drunk or a junkie, yet with a few grams of sugar a completely different person.
    There is a lot wrong with the NHS. There is also a lot wrong with us all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ymdawd

Point taken but the unnecessary violence and abuse that the staff in your average A & E have to put up with is in my opinion unacceptable. Have seen it for myself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Totally agree. It's making that judgement at that moment in time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I will never say anything against the people who work in the NHS, but I think it's normal to rail against the politicians who screw it up. I know that if I am in a car crash or have a heart attack (especially the latter) I will usually get top grade treatment, and for diabetes I also get what I expect, which is the best my GP practice can manage. Luckily this forum fills in most of the gaps and enables me to manage my condition.
    I have also just been diagnosed with Stage A chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) with three-monthly monitoring, and a visit to the oncology area of my not-very-local hospital takes me into a new world of quiet, calm, caring and reassurance. There have already been instances of lost letters between the hospital and my GP and misunderstandings between the doctors I see, but the net result is that I'm in the system and it seems to work.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh @DeejayR i am sorry to hear this! Although very relieved it is chronic, not acute.
    What a shock for yourself and MrsDJ.

Very pleased that you are so in control of your eating and blood glucose (mug cakes and all ;) ). That will make a huge difference to this new fight.

Hug.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  12. DeejayR

@Brunneria Thanks. Yes, the last doctor I saw said I was getting off to the best possible start with my existing lifestyle. It's odd that those little figures of lymphocyte count rising slightly each HbA1C test suddenly take on a sinister significance. But how lucky to have diabetes to qualify for an annual blood test which also reveals what else is going on!
    Coincidentally Mrs DeeJay is dealing with her own form of peripheral neuropathy, namely CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy) which is basically to do with muscle wastage in hands and feet and is a longer title than mine so I'm a bit peeved. I'm impressed with the treatment she is getting, even though the wait to see various consultants can run into months. She goes on an intravenous immunoglobulin drip next week (six hours a day, five days).

• Hug Hug x 2
  13. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Oh @DeejayR I am so sorry about your diagnosis. I am shocked. What a good job you are in complete control of your eating and diabetes. That will help enormously. I can confirm that the NHS oncology is the very best and everything possible will be thrown at you in your fight with much compassion and care.

I couldn't agree more that because we have such regular and thorough blood tests we are able to catch most things that are lurking at the earliest possible stages to give us the best possible chance. A very good reason for ordering print outs of all test results or tests on-line.

All the very best to you and your wife.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ymdawd

i would echo that sentiment to you both.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brunneria

Staff Member

Mrs @DeejayR gets a hug too then.

Please keep in touch!!!

• Like Like x 2
  16. AnnJohnston

AnnJohnston Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have a fabulous diabetic team at my hospital and my gp has never refused a prescription for strips, lancets, needles etc. For anyone that wants to complain about the NHS think about our friends in other countries who need to pay for everything we get given to us. The NHS is not perfect but it does the best with the budget it's given. If you don't like it, go private.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@DeejayR ...........sorry to hear your news........BIG HUGS to you and MrsDJR .......xxxx

• Like Like x 2
  18. DeejayR

I didn't mean to hijack this thread but tried to keep it fairly relevant. Neither of us has told anyone else about our conditions and it just sort of popped out on the forum where I feel safe. Thank you all.

19. donnellysdogs

@DeejayR...
    So sorry to hear both diagnosise... always ask for copies of letters going to Drs to also be sent to you....best advise I can give besides having a look at pomi-t tabletss... overall, having good effects on cancer...and trialled on real life human beings. Not just a non descriptive, non tested vitamin tablet!!

Cancernet.co.uk is excellent and run bu top uk oncologist.

Wish you good outcomes.

Do have a look at Maggie Centres for help too. They are for all stages of cancer and help enormously. They arent just for the terminal. They can help with good advice and even financial help etc for those that need help..

Xxx

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Brunneria

Staff Member

@DeejayR

I am sure none of us minds the derailment, considering the circumstances, but if you like, i could move your post, and the responses, into a new thread.

If you would like that, just say so - and tell me what you would like your thread called. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook