1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can we have something good to say about our NHS?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Kim Possible, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

I have often thought about people who "abuse" their bodies and how they should be handled.
    But it is so hard to define this abuse - sure alcohol and drug abuse is obvious (unless you consider possible mental conditions that may be the trigger). What about the extreme sportsman who is more likely to break their leg? What about the traveller who is more likely to come back with malaria? What about the senior businessman/workaholic who is more likely to suffer from heart condition? What about the person with diabetes who eats pizza? ...
    In all these examples there is the question "why do they do it?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think this way of thinking is a slippery slope - even alchool and drug addction it's not a thing one does willingly, and in most case education and prevention of chronic condition is not sufficient and with too simple messages sent, that are in most case almost wrong.

I see on tv a lot of cooking show, nitpicking on presentation, ability of exusion, none of them that is trying to explain correctly what is ealthy eating. On the other hand reality shows are made on peeople with morbid obesity or behavioural problems.

• Like Like x 2
  3. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I just put it in as a question for debate? Drug people at our chemists have different dooor for access to get their methadone etc..

Perhaps their should be a suspected breakage team or separate suspect heart/stroke team?

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. Ymdawd

Ymdawd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Under NHS methadone patients should be treated no different to any other patients.

As I said earlier the NHS cannot treat anything and everything. Where does one draw the line.?

5. Ymdawd

Re foreign travellers. I do not see why tourists going to foreign lands should be given very expensive vaccines at public expense. Yet if they do come back with whatever disease they are going to be treated at NHS expense anyway. In practical terms it is cheaper to give the vaccines believe it or not. Exactly the same situation for giving smoking cessation products on the NHS

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

As a regular traveller and consumer of vaccines in the past, I can confirm they are not all available on the NHS. I always factor in the jabs as part of the cost of my trip.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Because as you are saying it's way cheaper to make prevention than to have some nasty illness.
    Most vaccines are more of a nuisance than an actual expense, because you have to go to the GP or the vaccines ward, pay, wait your call and then wait again half an hour. And nowadays there's also the people against vaccines that are making a lot of noise.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. sarah_chadwick

sarah_chadwick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had open heart surgery 3 years ago after my heart starting playing up, was diagnosed with a congenital condition at birth but there wasn't anything that could be done then (47 years ago), without the NHS and the wonderful staff, I would not be alive today, they really did save my life and I will fight to keep it in this country.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In response to drug addicts getting their medication separately..
    That is because they have to be observed taking the medication (literally) by the pharmacist, there are strict protocols in place.
    The "they don't deserve treatment" argument could be applied to smokers and their chest complaints, uncontrolled diabetics who don't take care of themselves, alcoholics, p*ss artists who descend on A&E on a Saturday night and get aggressive..
    The latter is the only one I have an issue with. The NHS nearly killed me (ignoring the severity of an asthma attack) leaving me on life support in intensive care, it also saved me, a rare advanced cancer which I'm in remission from.
    It saved the lives of 4 of my grandkids. All premature, twins weighing less than 3lbs each, 1lb 13ox, 1lb 10oz. Just a few short years ago they would have been considered too prem to justify saving.

They are now 15, 8, and 5x2, one with cerebral palsy but who is the brightest little lass - I just chatted to her on the phone funnily enough.

The NHS has many faults but I'm glad we have it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I dont think of "they dont deserve treatment" for anyone. I just wish, personally that a&e was kept for that accidents and emergencies.
    Just wish I didnt see ambulance men and police caught up trying to get an alcholic into hospital for 4 hours when in that area at the time there was 89 other persons waiting for 20 ambulances. Just wish there was a way of getting ambulances and care to people that need to get to hospital rather than trying to get a person who doesnt want to go to hospital (for 4 hours) and 4 ambulance and police involved etc for someone that didnt want to go.
    We live in a topsy turvey world..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ymdawd

We sure do live in a topsy turvey world.
    In my books the founding politicians of the NHS ( the old style Labour party ) created what was an absolute godsend for the working man. I have great admiration for them.
    In their naivity they thought that the costs of the NHS would fall as people became healthier. Wonder what they would think of it now.?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ymdawd

Remember a few years ago i was watching a patient take their methadone i asked them by way of conversation if they hoped to get free of methadone. The reply was short and still stuns me to this day. Their reply was " What for.? I get it free. "

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. leahkian

leahkian · Well-Known Member

Most of us will at one point or another be in debt to the NHS for keeping us alive and i thank them from the bottom of my heart. The thing that works for me is that i will only see one doctor, not a different one every time i am at clinic as 3 different doctors have 3 different views. So that is why i see the same one, the main problem is money or lack of it. Mrs may is a diabetic and you would think that she would invest in more diabetic research as we spend over 10% of the NHS budget on diabetes and the problems that go with it. The thing is that most tories have private health insurance and a lot of MP'S are involved in private health concerns and if the NHS keeps outsourcing work, you no who will make money out of it. It has been said we need 30,000 nurses to fill the short fall in staff but the thing is there the money to pay for them and if there is why can they not give the hospitals some of that money. Over 2 years ago i had a transplant and got to know the staff really well and i could see that they were working 13 hour shifts and not getting a break and a night shift sometimes there were only 3 staff on and only 1 qaulifed and 2 HCA on a transplant ward, I was in 3 weeks and one doctor who was great and told me that he had only 2 days off in 4 weeks, over a year ago i had a check up in the renal clinic and seen one of the staff off the ward and asking was she moonlighting. She said no she was sick of working extra hours for no thanks and if they were a minute late they got blasted, she then said another 6 were leaving the ward for other jobs in the hospital!! If there is nothing done quick our NHS will die and it will lie at the door of the we only look after ourselves Mrs May and the idiot of a man that Mr Hunt is. It is funny that there was no money tree until Mrs May found a billion to keep her job. It is time that more money is found on this tree to pay all NHS staff what that deserve and given the tools they need to make our health service great again. THIS IS OUR NHS AND IT IS ABOUT TIME THESE SO CALLED LEADERS OF OUR COUNTRY STOPPED TELLING LIES AND GOT OFF THEIR FAT BACKSIDES AND DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT,

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ymdawd

Broadly agree with what you say but without fundamental changes to the way the NHS operates simply throwing more and more money at the problems is not going to changes anything. Mrs May may well be diabetic but you can be sure there will be no waiting in NHS queues for her

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. serenity648

serenity648 · Guest

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Ymdawd

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No there won't. What changes do you think are necessary?

• Like Like x 1
  18. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is no money for universal health care in the United States.
    The next day...
    Here's 2 trillion dollars for tax cuts for the rich and a lie that they were intended to help middle income groups.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. serenity648

serenity648 · Guest

Remember that we pay high taxes, and national insurance contributions (another tax) which apparently go towards our NHS costs. And most of us, even most diabetics, pay prescription charges, dental charges, opticians charges.

20. lowedb

lowedb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Being diabetic gets me an NHS exemption. Maybe that's not the case for those that are diet only, but otherwise I was sure we got them. Likewise diabetics get free eye tests don't they? I can't be sure because I get them free because there is Glaucoma in the family.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook