Can you get better?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you get better from having a thyroid problem? I have an underactive (i think thats the right one?) Thyroid and for some time I had forgotten to take my tablets.
The thing is, when I had my blood test they said my results were fine which really surprised me as i knew I hadn't been taking my tablets..

I've started trying to remember to take them now for the last few days, recently I've felt very achy and had a dull headache going on in the back of my head.. could this be anything to do with it?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When it comes to thyroid levels the only thing that counts is how you feel. Bloods rarely tell much or if they do, the medics are unable to interpret them.

TSH, for example, is a test us hypothyroids usually like to keep very low or even suppressed while your GP may want you to stay just under the upper reference range and will get scared if it gets close to or, horror, below the lower limit.

My TSH is at 0.03 and that's where it needs to be for me to feel well.

Do you get FT3 tested? I feel this is the best test, together with FT4 if you are on Levo.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last year, I had a positive thyroid test , it was a fasting test: done alongside my other tests TSH was well over that needed to diagnose hypothyroid ie above 10 mU/L and T4 below the range.
My doctor wanted to test antibodies before putting me on thyroxine so I had another test plus one for antibodies. This was just 2 days after the first one, the only difference was this was a bit later in the day and not fasting. The second TSH test was (from memory , that's why haven't put T4 results ) only about 6.5mU/L. The antibodies were high though.

So within three days , I had one TSH result showing clear clinical hypothyroidism, the second a level that might not get treated. This demonstrated to me that the results can vary a lot from day to day.(and time of day perhaps)

To be honest I didn't feel 'ill' other than a lack of motivation when I was tested in the first place and was very surprised by the results.

However, my understanding is that it is (like my T1) something that will not get better and I've had a scan of my thyroid which shows it is atrophied.
It may be that for some reason you don't need as high a strength as you are taking. It seems to take time for it to 'build' up in the body so I assume it also takes time for the effects to decrease. Dosing also seems to be very individual, that's why they make thyroxine tabs in so many different strengths. I know a friend who has no thyroid gland at all but takes less than many people who still have one.
When I went onto thyroxine, my doctor stressed that if I felt a racing heart or jittery or any odd symptoms,(long list on the packet insert) I needed to phone her .(too much is as bad as too little)

I think that you should contact your doctor and discuss your medication with him/her