Can you swim?

BeccaJaneStClair

I learned to swim when I was 4 and loved it. I even swam briefly on a local team and in intramurals at Penn State.

I have always been self conscious about my body, too. You just have to pick a suit that suits you -- like if you don't like your bum, find a suit with a skirt. Also, they make suits with those slimming panels similar to spanx....even Primark has them!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No not a good swimmer at all.

shop

Hi Shygirl,

I can swim but would't say that I am a strong swimmer. Swimming is good too if you have a prob with an arm or leg as is supports it while getting excercise.

Lucy xxx

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I can swim, learnt at school, went to boarding school, they had a pool. At the year end, those who had learnt to swim went up in front of the whole school to get our 'Sidcot Shilling'. Mortifying!
Incidently why did the doc ask if you could swim Shygirl?

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
if your docter was asking if you can swim so you can exercise have you thought of going to aquasize which is exercising in water,you do not need to swim to do this and it is great fun.See if your local leisure centre has this class and perhaps you could go and watch a class.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I love swimming!! Well,I used to anyway before my Abdomen was ruined by a knife happy surgeon so I can't go anymore. :cry:

A

Anonymous

I swim !

but I only started going at the beginning of 2011 (I learnt in primary school which was, ahem, 1 or two years ago). When I started I must have looked like I was drowning - arms and legs flailing wildly. I probably still look a bit like this but people are generally polite and don't mention it - I can at least flail in a straight line now. I feel incredibly at home in the water and I enjoy it as much as cycling now - my previous favourite exercise.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I can swim but not well, I could probably save myself but don't anyone else rely on me! I float very well, even on my front - inbuilt water-wings :lol: :lol: .

I used to go regularly when I worked in Stafford in the 1980s, an hour in the pool 3 times a week in the morning before going to work. Much the best time of day 'cos not crowded. Sadly my nearest pool is now about 18 miles away and is for the Army. The general public are only allowed in after about 6pm, and the Ladies-only sessions are at about 8:30pm - not for me, I'm afraid!

So I don't swim any more :( .

Viv 8)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I'm a strong swimmer and as a past boat owner swimming is a must. The seas around here (Solent area) provides some strong undercurrents and any owner who cant swim needs their head examined.
Swimming is a very good all round exercise, but frankly I would not advise it in the sea. A patrolled pool is much safer, cleaner and of course considerably warmer :thumbup: :D

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i love swimming but i would not swim in a pool. i need the sea :)

so my swimming is limited to when i go back home and that has to be in the summer months - which i try to avoid mainly August and September as it will be too hot.

we grew up swimming. in summer used to go every other evening to a beach about 10 mins by car. and then on Sundays we used to spend a whole day at a sandy beach to the north of the island....

ahhhh....good memories!!!!

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Shygirl, I'm exactly the same as you.

I started trying to learn to swim, poorly. Then almost drowned myself when on holiday (family nearby didn't realise I was struggling until I actually managed to grab one of them), this was then followed by school swimming lessons which I'd do almost anything to get out of (the instructor was a bully). Now I look at people swimming (eg in the Olympics) and feel I'd love to be able to do that, but a bit wary of trying to learn again (that's once I lose some weight of course, not wearing a swimsuit at current size!)

Defren

Yes, I can swim. I used to swim for my county as well as long distance running for the county.

I love swimming and do go as often as I can. I taught my children to swim also, as I believe it is a vital tool in the staying alive tool kit. Plus it's a wonderful way to exercise while having fun.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
Swimming is a 'great' low impact way to excersise ...
Especially for those who have mobility issues or neuropathy pains in lower legs and feet.
Like me... The upper body floats in the water thus keeping weight "OFF" the feet !!!! :thumbup:
Love it :D and it works all the body and the cardiovascular system too.
Anna.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I learned in the sea at Bournemouth when I was seven; my father deliberately punctured my rubber ring which slowly deflated !
I'm now in the fortunate position of having a 10m pool in the garden and can swim every day from May when the water is about 20C (most years) until October. (oh for the lottery win to put an 'abri' over it and install heating.)
The only thing I now have to be very careful about is hypos, swimming reduces my blood glucose very rapidly even though I remove my pump.
On hot summer nights there is nothing like a quick swim to cool down before bed :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
purplekat said:
Shygirl, I'm exactly the same as you.

I started trying to learn to swim, poorly. Then almost drowned myself when on holiday (family nearby didn't realise I was struggling until I actually managed to grab one of them), this was then followed by school swimming lessons which I'd do almost anything to get out of (the instructor was a bully). Now I look at people swimming (eg in the Olympics) and feel I'd love to be able to do that, but a bit wary of trying to learn again (that's once I lose some weight of course, not wearing a swimsuit at current size!)

Don't despair! A friend of mine learned at the age of 60, after a hernia operation. It was the only exercise she was allowed to do for a while. She managed to find someone who gave private lessons, which gave her the water-confidence she needed to go into a public pool.

As for swimsuits - you can get big ones. I know what you mean when you say you're not wearing a swimsuit until you've lost weight, but once you get in the water it doesn't show! And no-one's looking at me (or you!) anyway! :( It was different 30 years ago :wink:

Viv 8)

Defren

On the subject of swim wear, many pools allow ladies to wear tee shirts and shorts. Our local pool does, and I quite often see ladies taking advantage of this rule. It seems to give the ladies more confidence. I do have to say there is one lady who goes, she is very much a larger lady, but, she goes in her bathing costume, and is wonderful. So happy and cheerful and she doesn't give a ****, she is great. :D

C

chris lowe

I learnt at school when I was 12. I go swimming twice a week after my gym session for about half an hour. I don't like water in my ears or eyes so wear goggles and ear plugs, so if you don't like water on your face the goggles might work. Don't worry about body size, we get several large people in our pool as well as a couple who are possibly anorexic so it takes all sorts. Can you book some swimming lessons. It would really be good for you. Exercise gives you a feel good effect for a while after. Please try if you can. :)

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I learned to swim as a child, but I have relearned to swim with some style and efficiency using the guidance of web resources, DVDs and books.

Every session in the pool feels like a technical learning exercise and is a great pleasure.

I have a brilliant swimming watch that measures all sort of states: laps, strokes per lap, calories burned, efficiency.

I burn about 845 kcals an hour which is about equivalent to a run of similar duration but feels like a lot less effort. With learning crawl become far easier than breastroke.

Carver

Yes, I can swim.
And I think I do it pretty well, though I don't have a chance to do it that often.