Can you test too much... Type 1

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
So, since being on this new system I've tested 15 to 16 times a day. I accept I will probably do less tests when I start to use the system, but not by much. Some of you may remember I had trouble increasing my test strips, and if I test this much I will need another 4 boxes a month.

Anyway, can you test too much? I really want to get my sugars under control.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's a personal thing. If you learn and act on the testing results, you should eventually have to test less. I you are just testing for no apparent reason then it is too much. Your fingers must be very sore. Testing alone does not give good control.
Mo

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm testing because I've lost all hypo awareness and I've had some very severe hypos recently.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with mo.

I always check before eating a meal. I may check at 2 hours after if I want to check how much insulin I've taken.
I always test before I drive and before / after exercise. I also test if I feel like I may be having a hypo.

However as mo said it depends how you use this to help you.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
amberzak said:
I'm testing because I've lost all hypo awareness and I've had some very severe hypos recently.

If you have lost hypo awareness, you need to run your blood levels a little higher than normal for a couple of weeks and your awareness will return.
Mo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
amberzak said:
So, since being on this new system I've tested 15 to 16 times a day. I accept I will probably do less tests when I start to use the system, but not by much. Some of you may remember I had trouble increasing my test strips, and if I test this much I will need another 4 boxes a month.

Anyway, can you test too much? I really want to get my sugars under control.

Not sure which system you are referring too, however if you have changed insulin regimes, diet or introduced exercise into your life then it's important to test more regularly so that you can see what effect the changes have made on your bg control, it's only ever a waste of strips when you don't learn or act on the readings, once your bg is under control you can relax more and only test where necessary.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi noble head. New system is the accu-chek expert reader where I input all my carbs.

I have been reacting to my readings, correcting doses (even when it says I need to just inject just one unit). I'm quite worried that my doctor won't give me more test strips though. It's been a fight to get the ones I've got.

How much do you test? And how much when you change things?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
amberzak said:
How much do you test? And how much when you change things?

A box of 50 test strips last me a week so around 7 test a day on average. My bg control is pretty steady at the moment but when I did make a few changes (following DAFNE, increasing exercise and a few changes to my diet) I probably tested 10-12 times a day until I was happy with my bg control.

As to regards to the fight to get more test strips for yourself, all I can say is good luck!!!! My own gp surgery actually tried to reduce my supplies and gp said that I was testing too much and unnecessarily, I explained to him about needing to test before eating and driving for example but it fell on deaf ears, luckily I'm under the care of my local hospital so I asked the Endo to intervene and write a letter to my gp and explain that I need to test for the reasons I stated, the gp practise must have taken note as I've not had any problems since.

If your under the care of your hospital care team you could do likewise and ask them to write to your gp, not going to promise that it will work but no harm in trying :)

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm in shock. I went in and said I need two more boxes, and my doctors put them on my prescription with no arguments. First time ever. Wow. Considering the fight I had to get more last time, this time I was prepared for such a fight.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
amberzak said:
I'm in shock. I went in and said I need two more boxes, and my doctors put them on my prescription with no arguments. First time ever. Wow. Considering the fight I had to get more last time, this time I was prepared for such a fight. ]

:thumbup: