1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cannabis; miracle medicine or dangerous drug? BBC2.

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by Jaylee, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I caught this well balanced documentary last night.
    https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/events/cannabis-miracle-medicine-or-dangerous-drug-bbc2-28-august-2019/

Though, my "jury" is still out with regards applications for BG managment. (& it's a long time since my student days.)

I felt the program was informative with regards to how it's researched & prescribed with other conditions.

I'll mark this topic up as CBD, which is why most genuinely search for answers on the subject.

Hope this helps resolve any queries on the matter. That can contentiously crop up from time to time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I believe it can have miraculous benefits for many folk with many conditions, but like any substance, it can be misused. Nothing much else to say about it, really. There's worse things freely available to buy all day every day in every supermarket in the land :nailbiting:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I watched it and found it to be very an interesting and a well balanced programme, especially as medicinal help because of the amazing results for the young lad with epilepsy and the older person with Parkinsons, it was awesome.
    But, I know what it can do to a young persons brain and it can also lead to harder drugs, I have seen this and it destroys lives. Many people smoke it, even down at the beach, which is a big bug bear of mine, the smell is distinctive and with so many young children about, I personally would ban it from the beach, but I know that is an open space.
    Edited to tweak a sentence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #3 Robinredbreast, Aug 30, 2019 at 8:26 AM
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  4. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

True or just walk into any place that sells alcohol.

5. Jaylee

Staff Member

The law in the UK is pretty clear regarding the recreational use.
    https://www.gov.uk/penalties-drug-possession-dealing

But for conditions that are normally & currently prescribed opiate bassed drugs to combat pain, which have thier own potential risks & side effect...

@Robinredbreast , if you are witnessing illegal activity? Call a copper. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have witnessed, the guy went onto harder drugs ( unknown by me at the time) and died 6 years ago.

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. Jaylee

Staff Member

Thanks.

Hopefully you won't need to discuss your personal experience on the subject to a cancer patient prescribed cannabis as an alternative to opiods, aiding relief from the pain..

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Well said @Jaylee

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I have been giving this much thought. Hopefully the baby will not be thrown out with the bathwater here.

Cannabis for recreational use should be a separate issue to that which is prescribed for medicinal use. We should not be comparing the folks who sit on the beach smoking the weed with those such as desparate parents seeking relief for their poorly children, some having multipe seizures, and for whom the only solution is to travel abroard to risk ‘smuggling’ in meds to give their children some quality of life.

I fully support research into use of cannabis based meds for pain relief etc. After all, morphine is a strong opoid drug similar to heroin, yet is used regularly in medical setting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook