Cannula

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I change the cartridge in my insight pump and don't change the cannula do I have to fill the cannula and if I don't change the adaptor and tube do you still fill the tubing ?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you don't change cannula there is no need to fill it again. In fact it can give you a hypo
Similar with tubing, although filling it again wont do any harm apart from wasting few units

Reactions: 2 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks, that's what I thought but as I usually change everything together but my insulin requirements have dropped and the cartridge lasts more than 3 days I wanted to be 100% sure, thank you for your help.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just keep an eye on the tubing to make sure no air bubbles have appeared along the way :)

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks both, when you started using the pump did you find you needed less insulin ? I started on around 38 units total which worked fine, I returned to work and set a tbr 90% for around 3 hours a day and have also dropped insulin to carb rate and I'm down to total daily insulin of 32 a drop of 6 units for the same daily carb intake.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You usually cut your TDD by about 25% when you change from MDI to a pump.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It was cut by 25% when I started the pump 6 weeks ago but I've had to tweak it by another 6 units, I've found that I have a less insulin to carb ratio on the pump than on glargine.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You usually cut your TDD by about 25% when you change from MDI to a pump.
mine went down by about 50%, with around 100g carbs per day I'm now on around 4U/day basal and similar bolus.

I asked how long the cartridge could last and I was told to change it every 12 days.

My pattern is
1) change everything
2) change cannula only
3) change turbing adn cannula, reuse cartridge
4) change cannula only
Every three days