cant put on weight?

diabetics gf

Hi,
I'm not diabetic, my boyfrind is - ask the username suggests :p
He was diagnosed about 3 years ago with type 1, and has been struggling to control it.
He was admitted to hospital today coz he went to the docs about a cold, and he had keytones, and no body fat reserves?
He's about 6 feet, and only weighs about 8 stone...

Does anyone have any ideas of how he could put on weight?
He's been on the DAFNE course, and followed it for a while, but then couldnt be bothered (not the right attitude, i know)
I'm trying my best to help him, but it seems doctors arent helping much? It takes about 5 days for a doctor to come see him when he's in hospital, and all they do is slap him on the wrist and discharge him.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but does anyone have ideas?
I'm trying my best to clue up on diabetes :)

howie

basically he could start using insulin properly. if the bf isn't using enough insulin then his muscles and organs can't get enough energy using glucose, so resort to his fat and then muscle stores. hence losing weight.

how are his bg's? should be between 4-7. ideally 5 most of the time. i'm guessing they were pretty high if he was in hosp with keytones.

+ this forums pretty safe, there's loadsa veterans to learn from with better advice and experience you'll get from the docs and nurses. use it whenever you have Q's and try and get the bf on too.

howie

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The only way to put on weight is to eat more and match the insulin injected to the amount of carbohydrate in the meal.

If your boyfriend is not happy eating big meals with high-carb values, then get him to eat several small meals a day. I currently have 4 meals a day, plus sometimes a snack before bed, depending on bg level. And I've managed to put on 3 stone since diagnosis.

Being underweight was a concern of mine, but with a combination of the gym and regular sensible eating, most people can build their weight up.

Sam.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
6feet tall and 8 stone is VERY underweight. Poor diabetes control with high sugars can cause this.
Get boyfriend to find out how to improve his control. The method varies with his particular regime. high blood glucose with ketones is dangerous. If he sends his information to the forum, someone will be able to guide him.
I'm a T2, so not the ideal person for that.
Hope he's home soon
Hana

diabetics gf

thanks guys, he's really bad with controlling his bg, its usually up in the 20's!!
i'm not around him enough to contantly nag at him, but it was me that talked him into this hospital trip lol.
from now on i'll definately be "booting his backside" from now on!!!