Canula pain???

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im on day 5 of my new pump. Changed the canula 3 times now as instructed but I'm finding it uncomfortable and sore. I am also bruising. Am I doing something wrong? Is it natural to be uncomfortable in the beginning?

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nicola have you tried a couple of different cannula types?
When I started my pump I was given a couple of different sets to try. I am very lean and found angled sets painful compared to 90 degree. May be worth trying different things to see what works best for you?

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I found I was reacting to the teflon in both the angled and "normal' 90 degree sets -- which meant I could barely get past 36hrs without the sets being so sore and itchy that I had to change them.... now on steel sets and WAY better -- even though they do sometimes still hit "funny bits" *and* i'm sensitive to the adhesive, I can at least keep them in for the full 48hrs and they don't leave itchy / raised sores when taken out... perhaps worth asking if you could try steel sets...?

Reactions: 2 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I am on Medtronic 640G and am using Mio sets (6mm) which seem to be really comfy but I've noticed if I insert them a little too high on waist (nearer ribs) it is a little uncomfortable (feels like it's pinching). Think the area doesn't have enough fat and its hitting muscle.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I am on Medtronic 640G and am using Mio sets (6mm) which seem to be really comfy but I've noticed if I insert them a little too high on waist (nearer ribs) it is a little uncomfortable (feels like it's pinching). Think the area doesn't have enough fat and its hitting muscle.
just a thought -- could it be you are too near your ribs and it is breathing that stretches causing you the discomfort
my newest omnipod change is up high on stomach and I am getting the symptom you describe.