Canula sites

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, as ever looking for advice

Is it possible to put a cannula in a certain place be it on the belly etc, and the insulin hits you very fast when you bolus

This has happened to me for 2 days, where I bolus and near 10 mins after I would be having a hypo when I am eating. It has never happened to me before- and I am just seeing if it's possible that this can happen in certain sites

Thanks

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stomach is supposed be the the most efficient place to inject, and can be a faster absorption rate than say the arms or thighs. Would say unlikely to be the cause of a hypo or low after 10mins. Could be a basal problem or a previous bolus still working.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi, as ever looking for advice

Is it possible to put a cannula in a certain place be it on the belly etc, and the insulin hits you very fast when you bolus

This has happened to me for 2 days, where I bolus and near 10 mins after I would be having a hypo when I am eating. It has never happened to me before- and I am just seeing if it's possible that this can happen in certain sites

Thanks
Check your basal and see if that's changed, it's doubtful a bolus would work after only 10 mins.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Possibly the cannula is in a blood vessel ( it doesn't need to be a big one) as the saying goes.... "If in doubt change it out!"

Reactions: 2 people

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yup, the stomach area is very a fast and efficient absorption area when injecting/pumping insulin there. That's what I found out through experience and had it confirmed by my DSN.

michelejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
reality/celebrity tv, sport
Stomach area on my left side is my favourite place to use, :cool: but annoyingly I soon run out of sites as it needs a rest, gets bruised or doesn't flow properly and I have to use somewhere else for a week. Just a way of life for us though isn't it. you just have to get on with it! :)