Carb Counting and Extended Bolus'

gab_07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

My bg's have been on the high side after meals, and I can only put the majority of the problem down to getting carb counting wrong.

I use the carbs&cals app (also a book) whenever I can, but I have no clue what to do when I have no idea what is in the food to work out the carb :( my guess work seems to be an underestimation.

Does anyone know of any good carb counting resources? I'm avoiding more and more foods because I don't want to risk struggling counting the carb. It's when something hasn't got a packet with the nutrition table, or it's not on my app.

Also, regarding low GI foods... Like rice, pizza, ice cream etc. I use an insulin pump so can set extended bolus', yet I don't know how long to put it on for? I've been using a 1hr extended bolus for rice but my bg is still rising :( i also did the DAFNE course a couple of years ago.

Gabrielle s

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's an app for Carbs & Cals or you can just purchase a book like the Calorie Carb & Fat Bible, if you cook from scratch there's an app called Cook & Count which is meant to be very good.

It's trial & error getting the bolus dose right using the extended features of a insulin pump, I often use the dual-wave feature to deal with difficult meals like those that are high in fat, but before you work on that you need to get the carb value right for your meals.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't be frightened to try those meals that you have no idea about, you're doing the right thing by under estimating the carbs, you can then correct afterwards, and make a note so next time you can get it (more!) right - you can then enjoy the meal even more.

Always test and have quick acting carbs at hand just in case - but you can at least learn by a mistake either way.

As for extended blousing - I don't pump so can't help but as above, testing and trial and error you'll get there.