1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carb counting and high blood sugars advice

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by orry-kaplan, Dec 1, 2018.

1. orry-kaplan

orry-kaplan Type 1 · Member

Hi all. I have a problem I can’t get my head around. I use the freestyle insulinx testing machine and most of the time it works really well and other times idk if it’s the machine or me. It basically lets you input the carbs you’re going to eat and then tells you how much insulin to take based off your readings and usually it’s excellent but today I carb counted my meal and tested before and I was 7.4. I then input the carbs I was about to eat for lunch and then I tested an hour later and I was 17.2. Now I know this is high but when I went through the machine to see how much fast acting I should take the machine said to take no more insulin as I still have insulin in my system which is understandable. I don’t know whether it’s normal to go this high once you’ve eaten and then the insulin will bring level back down or if I’ve carb counted wrong / ate something high in sugar. Anyone have any help or advice? Thanks

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @orry-kaplan what was your result like 3 - 4 hours later ? Blood sugar spikes literally depend on what you eat, some foods spike me high but I come down again 3-4 hours later so I know the carb/insulin ratio worked, I don’t tend to get too stressed up until this point but as I use the Dexcom G6 now and I eat moderate carbs then using this cgm shows me which foods I prefer to leave out of my diet. I also pre-bolus by up to 20 mins to avoid the spike where I can if I do want to go carb heavy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. endocrinegremlin

endocrinegremlin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Happens to me a lot with pasta, pizza ect. Stodgy carbs. I tend to turn up near target when the insulin is out my system. I have a pump to try split my insulin at once but on MDI I took two injections which are options. I split 40/60% and that may help. The 40 before dinner, the 60 maybe half an hour after.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @orry-kaplan, From my experience as a T1D, not as professional advice or opinion:
    Perhaps have a look at mendosa.com - GI, GL and Glycemic Values. This will show you that carbs are not all the same. Some raise BSLs quickly (high GI) and others less so (low GI).
    I am not saying that GI and GL are be all and end all of carbs but it may prove useful. Ideally what I do is to try to match up when my BSL peaks from a meal with when my short-acting insulin's maximum effect will be.
    And also the GI/GL values show that some fat in the meal shows down the BSL rise.
    Carb counting is not perfect. Protein from a meal can be partly converted to glucose by the liver and may add to the BSL rise.
    It is all about balance, accepting that life is not always perfect and that we continue to learn from each episode of high. low and normal BSL results.
    Why do I get the impression that this M&M is laughing at our expense ??
    P9090258.jpg

5. Tantawangalo

Tantawangalo Prediabetes · Newbie

I read something recently about stress and diabetes?
    Blood Sugar is high but can be on 8 often don't eat any **** or sugar.
    I would just like more peace, retired recently and to the day became care for my brother with alcoholic dementia. i hate every day with him so i go to the farm and set his meals out before i go.
    Two years ago i had a heart attack stress work, brother replaced the stress with his ****.

6. Khushi Nagpal

Khushi Nagpal Type 1 · Active Member

It really depends with what you've eaten - even if you have counted the carbs right, but your meal consists of fast-acting carbohydrates, then your sugar will most likely spike before the insulin reaches the blood and begin to 'kick' in. It would be more beneficial if you stated what you ate and in how much quantity - along with the dosage of insulin. It could be that the amount of insulin in your blood was already quite great, that it was enough to bring your sugar down from the 17.2.

7. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Unfortunately, different foods are digested at different rates. However, our insulin works at one rate.
    Therefore, the glucose from some foods may reach out blood before the insulin has started to work.

Some people overcome this by pre-bolusing. Depending on the person and the type of food they are eating and the insulin they are taking, this pre-bolus may need to be 45 minutes before eating.
    This could be a challenge if you do not know what you are going to eat.
    On way around this is to do multiple boluses - one pre-bolus which covers some of what you will eat and another once you have eaten.
    Another may be to consider a different insulin. For example, Fiasp works faster for some people ... but does not work very well for others.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook