Carb counting and lack of UK food label traffic light system for total carb's

Stuart7152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why doesn't the UK include total carbs on the current traffic light system on the front of most food labelling. This would make shopping a lot more informative and less time consuming to have to pick up every product and then spending time reading the rear label.

I would think if sufficient customers demand this change at some point the manufacturers will listen and would make a good step change in everybody's information about health.

More "RED" labels, less profit for food industry. Already a few manufacturers have started lower sugar/salt content as already effecting sales, just wish more focus on total carb's.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because Carbs aren't thought to be bad for the general public.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TBH I'm not bothered if its on the front or back as long as the nutritional value is there, you only have to wind the clock back 10-20 years and there was hardly any foods available with the nutritional value on the packaging.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Why doesn't the UK include total carbs on the current traffic light system on the front of most food labelling. This would make shopping a lot more informative and less time consuming to have to pick up every product and then spending time reading the rear label.

I would think if sufficient customers demand this change at some point the manufacturers will listen and would make a good step change in everybody's information about health.

More "RED" labels, less profit for food industry. Already a few manufacturers have started lower sugar/salt content as already effecting sales, just wish more focus on total carb's.

I kind of agree however, I hope your not in charge of the labeling with that signature! :)

Reactions: Energize

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came across a vague comment about how the traffic light system was eventually going to be expanded to include carb content. But knew no more than that. So I looked it up.

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/healthyeating/labels.html?showall=1

And I am now even less impressed.
I disagree with their categories for red green and amber
The front-of-pack traffic lights are voluntary/optional for the food supplier, although all the major supermarkets do it.
Fibre isn't listed
Carbs are not listed but sugars are

The actual nutritional info on the back of the pack is much more worth while.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
"Traffic lights" are simply an opinion, eg fat = bad, I prefer the facts on the back of the packet, even if I do have to put my glasses on to read them. Having said that, almost all the food we eat is fresh, as nature intended, and I'm still looking for small print on the underside of tonight's kale leaves.
Sally

Reactions: Energize

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally ... and I do mean personally ... I don't like the traffic light labels on food ... Its dumbing down to the point of stupidly... Its not hard to turn over the product and read all the info on the back of the packaging... There are not many people in this day and age that cannot read ... If others choose not to look at the info its up to them .. if its on the back or in a stupid colour system on the cover it will make no odds .. they will ignore it ... But this is my personal view..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been aware for some time that the traffic light label does not include an entry for total carb and also that there are colours on it. From @Brunneria 's link above I copied this quote.

"It is particularly important not to eat too much saturated fat as this can increase the level of cholesterol in your blood, and having high cholesterol can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke." and then they paint it red.

I find that so patronising.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

I agree. I'm used to applying that little extra effort, but my wife still reads Sugar on the traffic lights and buys accordingly. :)

Would defo make life a bit easier in the Potts household...haha:)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been aware for some time that the traffic light label does not include an entry for total carb and also that there are colours on it. From @Brunneria 's link above I copied this quote.

"It is particularly important not to eat too much saturated fat as this can increase the level of cholesterol in your blood, and having high cholesterol can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke." and then they paint it red.

Plus it seems to be untrue - dietary cholesterol doesn't translate into cholesterol in the blood - the liver makes that - apparently to try to protect from high blood glucose levels. Who'd have guessed, eh?

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

There is this on the carbs page of that website:

"The general healthy eating advice for people with diabetes is the same as for the rest of the population – i.e. a healthy, balanced diet with meals based on starchy foods, particularly those that are high in fibre or wholegrain. People with type 1 diabetes, and type 2 diabetics using insulin will need to carefully monitor their carbohydrate intake, but they should not cut out carbohydrates or starchy foods from the diet."

I don't know where to begin with that.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plus it seems to be untrue - dietary cholesterol doesn't translate into cholesterol in the blood - the liver makes that - apparently to try to protect from high blood glucose levels. Who'd have guessed, eh?
Yes I think you understand just how much I am impressed with traffic light labelling.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is this on the carbs page of that website:

"The general healthy eating advice for people with diabetes is the same as for the rest of the population – i.e. a healthy, balanced diet with meals based on starchy foods, particularly those that are high in fibre or wholegrain. People with type 1 diabetes, and type 2 diabetics using insulin will need to carefully monitor their carbohydrate intake, but they should not cut out carbohydrates or starchy foods from the diet."

I don't know where to begin with that.

I have some worse news for you. That is just about a verbatim quote from section 1.3.3 of the N.I.C.E. guidlines on diabetes.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know :)

little circles inside big circles ...

Since the official opinion is that the general public doesn't eat enough starchy carbs, a traffic light system would probably be reversed in any case. Green for foods high in them.

Last edited: