Carb counting

Akash

Hi guys, new to this forum. I got diagnosed with type 1 a few weeks ago so still getting used to it. I went to see my nurse today and she introduced me to carbohydrate counting, and giving my insulin depending on that, i was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on foods and there carbs etc. also just advice in general, any tips etc. My nurse said that my ration is 5 carbs to 1 insulin, thanks in advance.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

garythegob

Akash said:
Hi guys, new to this forum. I got diagnosed with type 1 a few weeks ago so still getting used to it. I went to see my nurse today and she introduced me to carbohydrate counting, and giving my insulin depending on that, i was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on foods and there carbs etc. also just advice in general, any tips etc. My nurse said that my ration is 5 carbs to 1 insulin, thanks in advance.

Hi, just wondering what phone you have, is it android, if it is, down load an app called myfitnesspal, when you eat food, you can use this app and scan the food package bar code and it will give you the nutritional info for that food, ie carbs, sugar, protein etc

Akash

Hello, i have an iphone. I have downloaded a similar app to what your talking about, however just wanted to know if anyone had any tips, or knew what foods that have more carbs then people would think. I have not yet seen a dietician so excuse my lack of diet knowledge. Only thing ive picked up so far is a banana is around 30g. Thanks in advance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Akash,

There's an online carb counting course which is similar to DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) which you can register with and use for free, I've not used it myself as I completed the DAFNE course back in 2009 but by all accounts it's extremely good and helped many a member on the forum, here is a link to the site:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
a banana is 30g carbs?????? omg no more bananas for me:(

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bannanas are quite high in carbs. Medium size about 24g

My advice is to check all nutrition information on packages and soon you will become an expert on carbohydrates content. Generally everything that is made of flour is high in carbs. The same with rice, potatoes
I like this website http://nutritiondata.self.com/ but its american one so you need to remember that they count fiber in total carbohydrates

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have a carbs & cals app on my phone its costs a couple if pound but is great abd saves having to carry a book around. I swear by it lol and if you lose your phone or have issues like me then its free to reibstall as long as you use the same account details you used when originally buying the app, it works on iphones and andriods but not sure about blackberries though.

Kelly :)

candiloo

Look at the carbs and calories book on Amazon - shows food portion sizes in photos and tells you how many carbs and cals in each and you can work out how much insulin to take - revolutionized my life. Have been poorly and really needed a donut, so I have worked out how much insulin for that and treated myself. No worries.

andybrightman

I want to give some suggestions on your low carb diet that following this types of diet is absolutely beneficial which helps to always be fit & fine. I suggest you that you should eat fresh fruits and green vegetables in breakfast. Considering green tea is also beneficial but one more thing that avoid to eat non-vage & fast foods.