Carb counting

rossh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

My diabetes is generally well under control with my usual routine of 4 injections a day (3 before meals and 1 before bed). My diet doesn't change too much on a day to day basis - same brekkie and similar lunch & dinners etc. Boring hey? :)

Is it still worth me thinking about changing to the carb counting method? What other benefits will it give me other than greater control of my blood sugars? Also, how hard / easy is it to adapt to from being on a normal routine?

Thanks,

Ross

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If your a creature of habit then stick to what your doing now, however if you want some flexibility in your diet then carb counting is the way to go

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your post made me smile…I think I am a carb counter version of you….I have the same amount of carb at my meals and consequently other than dinner, brekkie and lunch are pretty much the same. So you'll probably find that you are eating the same amount of carbs at most meals - I guess carb counting can help if you want to eat something a little different and just help you have a better idea of what quantity of food you need to eat and what has the carbs in and what hasn't. You don't have to change to ratios for insulin straight away, it just might be something useful to look at for you - there are books on portion size and stuff like that and you can work out the carbs from the backs of packets (the total amount not the of which sugar bit). I guess the carb bit might explain any high sugars or low sugars when you think you have eaten the same quantity but maybe inadvertently eaten more or less carbs. Your hospital might have some books/leaflets or things that might help.

So - I don't really think it will effect your routine that much (you will probably start with a bit of weighing, and looking at packets and working out how much carbohydrate you are eating). I think it is a useful tool and it isn't too hard to learn - but then if you are sorted and with good control I completely understand that it isn't necessarily a priority for you.

Reactions: 2 people

JayH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bus Journeys
Hi all,

My diabetes is generally well under control with my usual routine of 4 injections a day (3 before meals and 1 before bed). My diet doesn't change too much on a day to day basis - same brekkie and similar lunch & dinners etc. Boring hey? :)

Is it still worth me thinking about changing to the carb counting method? What other benefits will it give me other than greater control of my blood sugars? Also, how hard / easy is it to adapt to from being on a normal routine?

Thanks,

Ross

Doing it as an experiment will help with your flexibility, may give you an idea of how many unit you need for the number of carbs your eating. May allow you better judgement in occasions outside of your routine.