stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Good Morning all

Can anyone please tell me if there is any truth in the fact that Carbamazapine can make any other medication i take basically ineffective, i have Bipolar disorder which is extremely difficult to control and i have taken many different medications over the last 12 years, i also two years ago was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes again proving extremely difficult to control.diet has no effect whatsoever, neither does the medication i am taking at the moment which is Januvia and Gliclazide.i have had Metformin but that medication certainly was not for me

My Gp increased the Gliclazide about 6 weeks ago to 120mg and my sugars are still in the 12-16 range all through out the day and night they have been this high for about 12 months,i have noticed no change whatsoever, i came across a snippet of information about haw Carbamazapine doesn't allow proper metabolization of medication but me being me i didn't really understand it, if this is true it looks like i will have uncontrolled diabetes for the rest of my day's as there is no way i can stop the Carbamazapine due to Bipolar disorder

Cheers
Stillo

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
don't now sorry, but hopefully someone with experience of this will be along. I would suggest nagging your gp though with your sugar meds not working to get correct meds for that. High sugars certainly won't help you .

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Thanks Brett

Appreciated

Stillo

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, this is a bit random, im new a know zero about anything but reading your post i remembered when i was having chiropracty (if thats how you spell it) on my back a while ago they put me on meds and asked me to drink a couple of teaspoons full of cider vinegar a day whilst taking the meds because it apparently helps the body accept the medication, i cant remember the ins and outs but i do remember it was disgusting but hey just for a second, maybee worth researching a little because it may counter balance the effect of the meds and allow the other meds to work.....just a thought, good luck

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Thanks Andy

I May give that a go even though it tastes horrible

Cheers
Stillo

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi stillo from what I can see after a quick google is that Carbamazepine accelerates hepatic metabolism which means that certain drugs will be pushed through the body faster than they normally would having a lesser effect. Certain other drugs may have a similar effect on Carbamazepine too.

However non of the drugs listed appear to be for treating diabetes so I can not see any contraindications for Carbamazepine with diabetes drugs. I am not medically trained though so I would advise that you ask your doctor or your pharmacist who should both know of any interactions that Carbamazepine may have with your other medication.

I would definitely not advise drinking vinegar or anything else for that matter, talk with your doctor.

A list of drugs that Carbamazepine may affect or that may affect Carbamazepine:
http://professionals.epilepsy.com/medic ... ction.html

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Thank you Sid Bonkers

I Suppose i am just trying to find a reason why my Diabetic drugs don't seem to be working

Cheers
Stillo

C

catherinecherub

This article will explain about interactions.
http://www.choiceandmedication.org/nsft/medications/70/
I cannot find anything about interactions between your diabetes medication and Carbamazapine though.

I notice that you only eat once a day and describe yourself as a low carber and wonder if you would gain better control by eating three meals per day. This article explains why you should not skip meals. Is your Dr. aware that you only eat once per day?

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/foo ... -diabetes/

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hi Catherinecherub

yes my doctor is fully aware of what i do and i can only say he tells me whatever i need to do,i need to do he is of absolutely no use whatsoever, i have requested an appointment with an endocrinologist and i have been flatly refused, i have now made a complaint to the practice manager and am currently awaiting a reply, however im sure that will also not go in my favor.

I don't know if it is me but i have had a great deal of trying to control what i consider to be the most 4 important things for me without success and they are Blood pressure,cholesterol blood sugar and weight not one of these are under control and they never have been, i am a candidate for Heart attack and it is not if but when, sorry to put a downer on things but i am seriously starting to get worried

Cheers
Stillo